free website stats program Oil cooler or Stage 1?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler or Stage 1??

Doing the Stage1 and changing my pipes cooled down my sportster, and changing to synthetic oil helped also.

I would not ride a new bike without at least a Stage 1. New bikes are extremely lean (air/fuel ratio) from HD to pass EPA requirements. Living in So. Mississippi, I believe in oil coolers.

Thus, I would do both. Stage 1 first, cooler second.

I have never seen 300 oil temp on my ride (07 egc) my sender is mounted in oil pan,I would question whether the ieds are working they should richen your fuel enough to keep it cooler than that. You will hear a lot of claims on oil coolers it is a very hard thing to judge ,the one thing I have noticed is the oil seems to cool off quicker once im moving after being stuck in traffic.I have the HD cooler with 185 thermostat. If it was me,I would do a stage one have HD download a stage one map and take the IEDs off. Your changing the map versus piggy backing and fooling the ECM.. JMO...but the temps seem way too high...Tom..

Have to agree with Texas Tom here; I thought the x-ieds were supposed to cool you down. If it is 300F with them, I would try taking them off, checking the connections, or testing them with an ohm meter if you can find the specs for that. Something sounds wrong here and if you start making more changes, your just going to compound the problem and make more of a mess. 300F is way too hot if it is 65F I don't care if you let it idle for 5 minutes. I rode a parade this past 4th of July. It was 80F and I didn't go over 5 mph for at least 20 minutes and only went a total of about a mile, and it didn't get over 230F with a probe in the pan, fairing mounted gauge. I do have an oil cooler, and as much as people will disagree about them, we all agree that at 5 mph, it was not doing that much as far as cooling my oil. If you, or anyone else reading this does decide to get a cooler, I wish I would have seen the ultra cool oil cooler with the fan. It costs about the same as my h/d cooler, but that fan would be nice for when I do get stuck in traffic.

Last edited:
Old dogg been riding for 46 years but this is my first EFI bike. Just got 2011 limited installed VIED’s hope it was not a waste of money. Like I said new to EFI. Could you please tell me what a TFI is???

I would not ride a new bike without at least a Stage 1. New bikes are extremely lean (air/fuel ratio) from HD to pass EPA requirements. Living in So. Mississippi, I believe in oil coolers.

Thus, I would do both. Stage 1 first, cooler second.

I agree with Big & others; Stage 1 and cooler. My trike comes with a cooler as std. but didn't cool down until Stage 1.

I don't care if you let it idle for 5 minutes. I rode a parade this past 4th of July. It was 80F and I didn't go over 5 mph for at least 20 minutes and only went a total of about a mile, and it didn't get over 230F with a probe in the pan, fairing mounted gauge.

Your in a completely different world not having a late model "96". I have a friend who has a stock 2002 (I think it is a "88" model B) and his bike does not go above 225* no matter what or where he drives. For some reason these "96"'s just flat out cook. I was all over this guys bike with a IR gun and could not believe the difference between his bike & my bike. Same day, same ride. I was going into heat mode and his bike was at 225*. Go figure.

Your in a completely different world not having a late model "96". I have a friend who has a stock 2002 (I think it is a "88" model B) and his bike does not go above 225* no matter what or where he drives. For some reason these "96"'s just flat out cook. I was all over this guys bike with a IR gun and could not believe the difference between his bike & my bike. Same day, same ride. I was going into heat mode and his bike was at 225*. Go figure.

I figured there was a little something like that going on. Most, but not all the later models seem to run so much hotter then anything I have ever seen. When I first put the cooler on, I did the gauge at the same time, at an oil change. I thought there was something wrong with the gauge, or sender. Pulled the wire off at the sender and jumped a ground, gauge went all the way up. Turns out, I really didn't need a cooler just yet. Don't regret it as i am gradually doing some mods, and will eventually go extreme with it in a few years after I get another ultra. But oil @300F on a 60F day, isn't that a little extreme, especially with x-ides? Where will he be when its 100F and gets caught in traffic?

Finally broke down and bought a Big Sucker A/C. Already had SEII pipes (part # ends with 99) and a TFI so figured why not get the A/C and try that first. Rode the bike Sunday, no change that I noticed BUT didn't get stuck in light to light traffic either. Gonna keep an eye on the temp and see what happens. Bike is definately louder now!!

Here's my question, and I've looked through the self help section, couldn't find an answer.

My 08 EGC seems to run excessively hot. I was riding a few weekends ago, the outside temp was mid 60s, beautiful day. The bike is completely stock with just a set of Xieds. Was riding in mixed traffic, some city, some country roads. After a long stretch of country road and riding at about 65 pulled into a drivethru for a drink. Sat in the drive thru for about 5 minutes and my scoot went into heat management. Now the air temperature was such that I was wearing long sleeves. This shocked me as I had not been riding her hard at all and five minutes was a very short time with my experience on this scoot. Now the oil is M1 fully synthetic 20/50 and was put in the engine in August of 2010,right before a road trip. This oil did get hot on that road trip, temp guage was reading over 300*.

My question is actually three fold. (1) Would the oil getting that hot in August effect it's ability to cool the engine? and (2) I'm thinking about installing a high flow breather with a TFI and leaving the stock mufflers on...will that provide cooling or do I need to install a new set of high flow slip on?

Finally, would it be better to leave the stock breather on, run a TFI to richen the fuel up and install one of those Ultra Cool Oil Coolers that have a fan?

I'm interested in keeping this motor healthy and want the best option for heat management. thanx.

What are the odds that your Heat Managment system is malfuctioning? (comming on too soon?). Just a thought.
I would think an oil cooler would potentially give you a faster "cool down" of oil from a "hot" situation as well as give you potentially a little more idle time (no air cooling from speed). But I don't know where the thermocouples are placed for the heat management system. Could be that the heat load and transfer is so great that 10-20 degrees F cooler oil (at a set flow rate in the engine, at idle) may only give you a few seconds to a few minutes, as far as the temp the thermocouple sees.
(No offense meant. I am a rookie who just learned I had a heat management system as an option on my HD, that was never turned on. Just thinking out loud.)

I am a rookie who just learned I had a heat management system as an option on my HD, that was never turned on.

Huh? I didn't know they had heat management in 2007? How did you determine you had it? Now you have me curious as to if mine may have it as well although it has never turned on (and that 96" motor gets HOT at times.)

Back