free website stats program Oil cooler or not? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler or not?

DadzLowrider

Hey All - new the wonderful world of Harley's. I have an 08 Dyna Lowrider 105th anniv. My questions is since I will be riding during all the Bike Weeks in Daytona and stuck in lots of traffic, is an oil cooler a good idea? How easy or hard are these bikes to overheat?

Hey All - new the wonderful world of Harley's. I have an 08 Dyna Lowrider 105th anniv. My questions is since I will be riding during all the Bike Weeks in Daytona and stuck in lots of traffic, is an oil cooler a good idea? How easy or hard are these bikes to overheat?

The bikes are already at the "hot" point.
But, I thought you needed air flow (fan or movement)
for the cooler to work.
If you're stopped, no movement of air across the fins, no cooling.
I think some have a small fan, but don't know how efficient they
are.
Maybe richen it up a bit more than normal to help cool.

Thanks. I have been looking some of those fans that go where the horn sits normally, just did not know if an oil cooler would be enough. Anyone know how well those fans work. How fast do these bikes overheat in stop/go traffic when it is in the 80's?

I fitted a oil cooler to my 2000 Road King Classic just before I went on a touring holiday of Spain & Portugal in 2003, just in case it overheated. Also fitted with thermostat so oil doesn't flow through it unless it reaches a certain temperature.

John.

Last edited:
And yours have the thermostat to open and close the unit when not needed? Should this be sufficient while stuck in stop and go traffic during Bikeweek? Thanks in advance for the info.

I've got an oil cooler on my Street glide, and ride it daily in the summer as a commuter. I've been stuck in multiple traffic back-ups in 100+ weather, and have not had any overheating issues. I do run Syn-3 oil, along with a SE air filter and SERT. Actually, I've had more overheating issues than my bike has.

At the risk of upsetting Forum members

If harley was concerned about heat to the engine i am sure they would have installed oil coolers/fans at the getgo

My .02 worth on The UG the cooler mount would be blocked from air flow by the fender

Merry christmas
Bill

I've got an oil cooler on my Street glide, and ride it daily in the summer as a commuter. I've been stuck in multiple traffic back-ups in 100+ weather, and have not had any overheating issues. I do run Syn-3 oil, along with a SE air filter and SERT. Actually, I've had more overheating issues than my bike has.

You would get a bit better protection using a full synthetic oil instead of Syn 3. The full synthetic don't break down as fast as semi synthetic oils do at temps.

i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

Back