free website stats program Oil Cooler or Cooling Fan? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler or Cooling Fan?

rcroff

My ride is an 09 FLSTC with HD Download and Stage 1 Air Cleaner. Currently running Redline Oils in all 3 holes and average between 225 and 250 deg oil temps.
I am looking to either install an HD external Oil Cooler or a cooling fan where the horn mounts.
Suggestions??

How much cooler are you looking for temps to be???? And how are you measuring temp?

I put a Jagg oil cooler on my 2007 two summers ago. No regrets. Does cool the oil in the summer by a few degrees (gotta keep moving for that). Also it does not have any electrical or moving parts that can fail.

I just installed my Jagg oil cooler on my 09 FLHR.. I may do lenale fan later...

In my book, OIL is More important to COOLas the fan Does COOL the heads but not the Oil.

The Jagg oil cooler set-up, is the Thermostat style, bolting behind the oil filter. connecting the cooler is simple... I use the down tubes to hold the cooler and it is made perfect for that position, clamp and tighten it up and hook the hoses and a neat job is done.... 0-9, Road King

I also use Redline oil.. Hope you are using 3 Different Redlines, not just ENGINE oil...

I use 20/50 redline engine
MTL in primary
Heavy ShockProof in the tranny.

signed....BUBBIE

Have you taken the readings with another thermometer just to make sure of the readings? I would also go with the oil cooler. I have them on both bikes.

I like the idea of a Jagg oil cooler...no moving parts to wear out and honestly cooling is accomplished by the oil flow...the large surface area inside and outside the cooling tubes plus oil circulation cools just fine, even in stopped traffic. Fans, unless they are long life military grade will go south in 4-5 years of rough duty use...JMHO

Back