free website stats program Oil cooler install on Road King. | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler install on Road King.

HDSickness

Banned
After 95" build bike seems to run a little hotter. Thinking of installing an oil cooler myself save $300.00 in labor from what dealer wants for install.
Anyone install one themselves? Is it difficult? Is it worth the $309.00 plus tax or does it really help much?

I just installed a Jagg 10 row horizontal mount on my 2011 Flhr(96"). Very easy install, if you can change your oil, you can install the unit. I chose to go with the filter adapter without the thermostat seeing as I live in central Fl. and the oil gets up to operating temperature as soon as I roll the bike onto the driveway:newsmile100: If you've done your research you know the Jagg thermostat starts opening at 185* and is fully open at 195*, down here that takes no time. Just in case I ever am somewhere and the ambient temp is too low, I made a (shield/cover ) for the cooler out of a piece of aluminum gutter that I had laying around and allI have to do is throw a couple of wire-ties around it and the cooling fins will be covered. I haven't had the cylinder shutoff kick on since I did the install, the cooler oil is probably giving me a few more minutes of lower temps while stopped....

I Use a 6 row JAGG oil cooler on my 09 King. It installs on my left side down tube.. EASY to mount there.
I also use the Thermostat type of unit from Jagg, it bolts to the motors oil filter housing when filter is off.... Ask for the Locking Bolts also..

SIMPLE to install...... Man, 50$ labor would be tops. HD has one BUT go with the Jagg 6 row... It will COOL you oil. I use it here in 115+ temps in Az. and it COOLS....

Look at MM Cycles,,,,,we like them here on HDT, they are fair priced and on line to serve you.

M&M Cycles - Home of Mom and Pop

signed....BUBBIE

Looked on MMCycle and talked with the owner, Mark...
Hard to find the coolers...
Jagg Coolers are listed under Tanks and ACC.

Cooler- 165.83
thermo hook-up-124.37
lock bolts- 8.71 (i'd suggest to use them)

MM Cycles 419-624-8739

The Jagg six row low mount will get the job done. You need the adapater, no Tstat required and wasted money and the anti rotation device which Bubbie has referred to as the lock bolts. Use a couple of drops of red loctite on the large adapter nut that attaches the adapter to the oil filter mount. I installed the adapter on my '02 FLHT before the anti rotation device was available and it has not come loose or started to leak after many oil changes. The reason the anti lock device was created was because before it was available, the adapter nut would loosen up ever so slightly when the oil filter was removed and a lot of users were developing leaks. Some didn't tighten the nut enough, some over tightened oil filters, etc. and the problem was repairable but a pain to address. So, as Bubbie suggests, use the device.

The low mount is suggested because it is out of sight as oppsed to the vertical frame mount which is hanging out there in plain view; a personal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for info guys.
After posting this I called local dealer to see if they had it in stock, they did got it and three hours later it's on. Spent one of those three hours trying to find a 7/16 allen wrench or socket, I should have went to ACE first.
Very easy to do can't see why dealer would charge 3 hours labor if I can do it in 2.

Thanks for info guys.
After posting this I called local dealer to see if they had it in stock, they did got it and three hours later it's on. Spent one of those three hours trying to find a 7/16 allen wrench or socket, I should have went to ACE first.
Very easy to do can't see why dealer would charge 3 hours labor if I can do it in 2.

If you can't find that size allen wrench, buy a 1/4" coupler that is used to connect 2 - 1/4" threaded rods together. You should be able to find this at a hardware store, then you can use a 7/16" wrench or socket on it, works like a charm.

Attachments

• connector.bmp
    28.2 KB · Views: 38
I installed a low 10 row oil cooler on my Electra 2005 using a manual jagg valve. I used the return of the oil pump not the adapter and it runs very well saving a lot of money. a simple home made work :cheers

Back