free website stats program Oil cooler for EGC | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler for EGC

bus driver

I have a 91 EGC and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with finding a oil cooler that will fit. I went to the dealer and they had a $550.00 aftermarket model. That seemed a little steep in my option. I am taking a long trip in late June, and with the temps in the south I think I might need it. If someone had had any luck, I would really appreciate hearing about it. Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

Jack, great link. I have periodically looked into oil coolers but was not sure of the benefit in traffic. The first thing I noticed was the addition of the Jagg Vertical Frame-Mount Fan-Assisted Oil Cooler Kit - 751-FP2600. It seems to me when the air cooled engine needs the most help is at very low speeds and the fan assist makes the most sense. Kind of like when the radiator fan dies on a water cooled engine, the engine won't typically over heat when driving at a modest speed. But the minute you stop at a light the water temp will jump quickly.

I had mounted a Jagg 10 row low mount on my '03 UC. I used the oil filter adapter with the built in thermostat, but I am not convinced that is required. Next time I will probably just use the regular oil filter adapter.

Here is the link to the Jagg/Setrab site:

Jagg 10-row LowMount Oil Cooler System for FLH 1984-2008 - Jagg Oil Coolers

BTW - They now have fan assisted models too!! Once you know what you want and have the part numbers, you can probably beat the price surfing the web.

Cheers,

TQ

I have heard, but have never seen, of folks drilling and tapping a hole through the plate that attaches the bottom of the crash bar to the frame where it is welded to the end of the crash bar tube and installing fittings. They then route an oil pressure line to one side and a return line to the other, effectively using the steel crash bar as an oil cooler. I wouldn't want a child or anyone else to grab on to the crash bar after a long ride. It would probably be about 230° hot. I don't know how much cooling the surface area of the crash bar would give the bike. I would imagine that it would probably require an additional quart or so of oil and when changing the oil, would best be drained by removing the hoses. Worth a try, I guess, before investing in a $500 oil cooler.

Thanx guys. I'm going to give that Jaggs a look. It makes sense to have a fan, because without it, it will probably overheat like a car in traffic with no electric fan. That's a good idea with the crash bars, but my bike is a 91, and God knows what the inside of those pipes look like. Somebody said run straight weight 50 or 60 during the summer months. What's your take on that? I am taking a long trip to NC this summer, (800 miles each way, I live in the northeast)-and like any air cooled bike, I'm not really worried about it, unless I get caught in traffic. Thanx again Bus Driver
WAP.gif

The Dennis Kirk fan assisted one looks promising, but I have to see if it will fit with the lower fairings(lowers). Thanx Bus Driver.
WAP.gif

I have heard, but have never seen, of folks drilling and tapping a hole through the plate that attaches the bottom of the crash bar to the frame where it is welded to the end of the crash bar tube and installing fittings. They then route an oil pressure line to one side and a return line to the other, effectively using the steel crash bar as an oil cooler. I wouldn't want a child or anyone else to grab on to the crash bar after a long ride. It would probably be about 230° hot. I don't know how much cooling the surface area of the crash bar would give the bike. I would imagine that it would probably require an additional quart or so of oil and when changing the oil, would best be drained by removing the hoses. Worth a try, I guess, before investing in a $500 oil cooler.
Harley Davidson Forums here it is:D

Thanx guys. I'm going to give that Jaggs a look. It makes sense to have a fan, because without it, it will probably overheat like a car in traffic with no electric fan. That's a good idea with the crash bars, but my bike is a 91, and God knows what the inside of those pipes look like. Somebody said run straight weight 50 or 60 during the summer months. What's your take on that? I am taking a long trip to NC this summer, (800 miles each way, I live in the northeast)-and like any air cooled bike, I'm not really worried about it, unless I get caught in traffic. Thanx again Bus Driver
WAP.gif

The best combination of cooler and fan is a Jagg 10 row and a set of Jason Wards fans.

Cooling fans - WARDS PARTS WERKS

A fan moving air over the oil cooler is not nearly as effective as fans moving air across the cylinder heads; cool the heads and cool the oil.

I would stick with a good 20W50 synthetic like Mobil's vtwin product or your choice from other manufacturers like Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple or Valvoline; I am just partial to Mobil. Any straight weight oil will start to lose it's lubricating capacity when temps hit 250*; synthetic lubricating capability does not start to diminish until temps hit 300*. If you see temps approaching 300*, pull over and let the motor cool down and change oil at the first opportunity.

Back