free website stats program Oil cooler ? for 2009 Glide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler ? for 2009 Glide

Be nice if some of these, oil cooler vids and websites would talk about increase performance i.e.. horsepower via the cooler oil ...

The 2014's HD's, with the water cooled head claim 7 extra HP because of it...

Gotta call bull hockey on that one. The power increase comes from the hotter cam set which is part of the "Rushmore" envelope.:coffee

Don't expect any increase in TQ/HP to result from installing an oil cooler.

Not sure how an oil cooler installed in front of the voltage regulator will shorten the life of the regulator; new one on me. I would like to hear the technical reason why this would happen. I have run a low mount Jagg cooler on two bikes; 35K miles on one and near that on the other and both regulators are still in service. Maybe it will take more miles??:coffee

Excessive Heat will end up causing a thermal run away condition in the regulator. Also, even though solder melts at 600 Deg F., solder can be heat stressed and begin to crack, especially with vibration.
I'm an Avionics tech with Rockwell-Collins, I see this often.
If yours is working great the yours is not heating up th regulator to the point of failure.
Just How I see it.:s

Excessive Heat will end up causing a thermal run away condition in the regulator. Also, even though solder melts at 600 Deg F., solder can be heat stressed and begin to crack, especially with vibration. I'm an Avionics tech with Rockwell-Collins, I see this often.
If yours is working great the yours is not heating up th regulator to the point of failure. Just How I see it.:s

Understood. The issue being discussed is whether or not the regulator is exposed to excessive heat resulting from installing a low mount oil cooler. Since cylinder head temperatures are the hottest on the motor and those temps rarely exceed 300*, the regulator will never see 600* and, even though I am not in avionics, I am pretty sure the regulator will not see temperatures that will stress solder to the point of cracking. That's just how I see it.:coffee

Understood. The issue being discussed is whether or not the regulator is exposed to excessive heat resulting from installing a low mount oil cooler. Since cylinder head temperatures are the hottest on the motor and those temps rarely exceed 300*, the regulator will never see 600* and, even though I am not in avionics, I am pretty sure the regulator will not see temperatures that will stress solder to the point of cracking. That's just how I see it.:coffee
Exactly, if the regulator had to shunt that kind of heat, 1 time around the block would destroy it

Gotta call bull hockey on that one. The power increase comes from the hotter cam set which is part of the "Rushmore" envelope.:coffee

Don't expect any increase in TQ/HP to result from installing an oil cooler.

Could be Dealer BS, the way it was explained to me was this, do to the cooling specially around the exhaust valve, the gas mixed (atomized) better and exhausted better.... more in and better mix + HP ....

Could be Dealer BS, the way it was explained to me was this, do to the cooling specially around the exhaust valve, the gas mixed (atomized) better and exhausted better.... more in and better mix + HP ....

Exhaust flow and scavenging will be a direct result and a plus for the way your cylinders fill, keeping the valve pockets cool will help the scavenging but I doubt you would feel the increase JMO

Back