free website stats program Oil cooler ? for 2009 Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cooler ? for 2009 Glide

cowpoke

I have a 09 Electra Glide classic 96"

Thinking of putting a oil cooler on it.

I see some of the 2014 mods have them mounted below the regulator..

I'm wondering if there are after market ones that mount similar to that or other setups that at better ?

Also, if you've installed one what did you notice for a difference, did the bike run cooler, noticeable to you ?

I have the same model and year as you do Cowpoke. I had the dealer install a Harley oil cooler right from the start so I can't say whether the bike runs cooler or not. However, I can tell you that I've had no problems and I like knowing it's there when I'm riding in hot conditions. I had it installed because I figured it couldn't hurt so why not? I feel an air cooled engine needs all the help it can get.

Jagg will offer you both options. The one that mounts low or the one that mounts to the frame down tube on the side of the bike. There are pro's and con's to both. The one thing that stands with both is that it works great while you are moving. Not so much sitting still. Either way it is a good insurance policy specially if you live in a hot climate. Having said that, I live in Fla. ride everyday and do not have one. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Had this conversation prior , oil coolers are great for cooling but Harley will not tell you that oil coolers mounted in front of the voltage regulator will decrese the life of your voltage regulator , mine went out last summer & i purchased a new voltage regulator from Cycle Electric Brookville , Ohio(much better model then the cheap Chinese Harley one) , included was a warning about mounting oil cooler in front of theifr voltage regulator - voided the warranty . I did it anyway .

Not sure how an oil cooler installed in front of the voltage regulator will shorten the life of the regulator; new one on me. I would like to hear the technical reason why this would happen. I have run a low mount Jagg cooler on two bikes; 35K miles on one and near that on the other and both regulators are still in service. Maybe it will take more miles??:coffee

Had this conversation prior , oil coolers are great for cooling but Harley will not tell you that oil coolers mounted in front of the voltage regulator will decrese the life of your voltage regulator , mine went out last summer & i purchased a new voltage regulator from Cycle Electric Brookville , Ohio(much better model then the cheap Chinese Harley one) , included was a warning about mounting oil cooler in front of theifr voltage regulator - voided the warranty . I did it anyway .

Not sure how an oil cooler installed in front of the voltage regulator will shorten the life of the regulator; new one on me. I would like to hear the technical reason why this would happen. I have run a low mount Jagg cooler on two bikes; 35K miles on one and near that on the other and both regulators are still in service. Maybe it will take more miles??:coffee

Me thinks this is a misnomer, we have had little issues for years mounting coolers here:D

Im just stating the warning that Cycle Electric puts in the box with the regulators . Im sure regulators will have a long life as long as you keep the oil cooler unit clean & air flows through properly . If there is no air movement on very hot days then there can be a problem .

Im just stating the warning that Cycle Electric puts in the box with the regulators . Im sure regulators will have a long life as long as you keep the oil cooler unit clean & air flows through properly . If there is no air movement on very hot days then there can be a problem .

I hear ya, just sayin regulators are also a heat sink and need some air, the coolers DO NOT block enough flow to be a problem, just their way round warranty IMO

Be nice if some of these, oil cooler vids and websites would talk about increase performance i.e.. horsepower via the cooler oil ...

The 2014's HD's, with the water cooled head claim 7 extra HP because of it...

Back