free website stats program oil cooler fan or engine fan? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler fan or engine fan?

I used to feel weird about it, mainly because I don't think that most cage drives understand and would get upset and potentially try to pull out on me, but if I get stuck in traffic more than about 5 minutes, I ride on the shoulder in 1st gear with my hazard lights on.
I have never had an issue with other drivers so far and while I am not sure of the laws in MD, I have gone past a few police officers and not had any issues.

I don't know what the ettiquette is, but I ride slow and pay attention for emergency vehicles and shoulder debris.

While they help a little, I don't think an oil cooler and/or a fan will make a significant difference, meaning that they will buy you a few more minutes, but you will never be able to leave your engine running indefinitely without moving. Plus, I would think that "stop and go" is actually worse than plain idleing because you are reving the engine to get going with minimal air flow.
I think an oil cooler helps reduce the thermal breakdown of your oil more than it cools the engine, so your oil should last a little longer.

From my personal experience, I believe the cooling fan for the cylinders would be more effective than a fan on the oil cooler.

I have an '09 Ultra with the HD oil cooler and the HD parade fan. I live north of Chicago so I cannot say that I have ridden in very high temperatures that often. I can say that I have been caught in traffic a number of times.

My bike has the stock exhaust system and mufflers and the Screaming Eagle air cleaner (basically the original football cover with an open back) and the factory ECM reflash. My understanding is this reflash does not necessarily enrichin the mixture.

Once last summer I was stuck in stop and go construction traffic on a day with the temperatures in the low 90's. I have the EITMS activated all the time. The highest oil temperature I saw was around 230°. It went up to that temperature and seemed to stabilize there. Once I was out of the traffic and back to normal riding the temperature started dropping. I attribute the oil temperature stabilizing to the parade fan and the rapid cool down to both the normal air cooling and the oil cooler.

I do not consider the parade fan too large myself. I feel looks are a personal choice. For me, I'll choose function over form any day of the week.

The bike is all stock I have not done any mods to it yet. I was in stop and go traffic from I95 on international speedway blvd to A1A south a little bit then up A1A to Main street, at Main street and A1A I noticed that I had zero oil pressure and and my oil light was on. I noticed that if I gave it a little throttle the oil pressure would go up and the light would go out. I was finally able to shut it down at US1 and main the oil temp on the dip stick read 310F and the motor did not sound good. I do not know if the EITMS was enabled.

The bike is all stock I have not done any mods to it yet. I do not know if the EITMS was enabled.

Have the dealership check to make sure it is enabled. At least then you will get an indication of over temp and the cylinder kill will help.

In stock form the 96 & 103's do cook. I took a few demo rides at the Harley booth the other day, and the FatBoy I rode was over the top with heat. It was pinging at the drop of a hat.
Mods do help but once the engine, primary and transmission are all hot, there is just no where else to sink any more heat and your making heat faster than you can get rid of it. Three minutes is all I can stand without moving, then EITMS kicks in.

The bike is all stock I have not done any mods to it yet. I was in stop and go traffic from I95 on international speedway blvd to A1A south a little bit then up A1A to Main street, at Main street and A1A I noticed that I had zero oil pressure and and my oil light was on. I noticed that if I gave it a little throttle the oil pressure would go up and the light would go out. I was finally able to shut it down at US1 and main the oil temp on the dip stick read 310F and the motor did not sound good. I do not know if the EITMS was enabled.

I know on MY 09 FLHR, that i can control the parade mode (off or on) by Turning the throttle AWAY from you (opposite excel) and hold it for a second or two and a light comes on to show Parade Mode is ON working.. Do that again and it turns it OFF.

signed....BUBBIE

I was in stop and go traffic from I95 on international speedway blvd to A1A south a little bit then up A1A to Main street.

Yikes, that's along way to get stuck in traffic.

Good timing on this topic. I just ordered the HD oil cooler for my 09 RG. Will install it during my next oild change which is soon. Will post back some results over the next few months as we near high temp riding weather in Florida.

Ride safe and have fun.

I saw a post here where is said that the oil pressure went to zero.
Is that what happens when you start to over heat?
I simply don't know. I have a 2007 that does not have a heat management system.

I have read posts where people say the motor was getting too hot, so they pulled over. What does this mean? Is there a set of sounds that start? Zero oil pressure? Simply too hot for comfort on your legs?

Can someone give me some guidance?
Is there a warning sign (if you don't have a heat management system to tell you) or is it too late by that point?

Thanks

I have a 2007 that does not have a heat management system.

You should on a 2007 FL. It may be just disabled. The only 2007 I know of that does not have heat management is XL.

I just checked, your ECM does have heat management

Thanks Hoople! I feel like a knuckle head! Never even knew I about it.
I will have to stop at the dealer and have them check to see if it is installed.

You should on a 2007 FL. It may be just disabled. The only 2007 I know of that does not have heat management is XL.

I just checked, your ECM does have heat management

The dealer installed/turned on the heat management system. It was never activated. The did the check and the installation for free, so that was nice.

Back