free website stats program oil cooler adapter Question??? | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cooler adapter Question???

crzrlou

I have an 07 Heritage Softail with the 96B engine and am planning to install an oil cooler. While I was looking to see about the adapter needed on twin cams engines to hook up the oil lines I noticed what looked like 2 plugs on my stock oil filter mount. I have never seen them on any other twin cam I have looked at so I am wondering if that is what they are there for. Does any one know if they are there for hooking up the oil lines on this model or will I need the regular adapter that is made for the twin cam engines. Any info on this will be appreciated.

I have an 07 Heritage Softail with the 96B engine and am planning to install an oil cooler. While I was looking to see about the adapter needed on twin cams engines to hook up the oil lines I noticed what looked like 2 plugs on my stock oil filter mount. I have never seen them on any other twin cam I have looked at so I am wondering if that is what they are there for. Does any one know if they are there for hooking up the oil lines on this model or will I need the regular adapter that is made for the twin cam engines. Any info on this will be appreciated.
Got a pic or two?

Enjoy,
Rich P

I know about the adapter because I have installed them before. I just thought that maybe HD had made things a little easier to install an oil cooler. If the 2 ports on the housing are not for oil lines do you know what they are for??

crzrlou, I have asked the same question for a year to all kinds of harley techs and mech. I hooked a remote oil filter, using the same kind of black HD filter from Harley that I use on the engine, I asked the question on here the other day and got some good results that I believed and was leaning toward myself. I am letting the remote filter help cool the oil as I don't like the looks or operation of these coolers, and the money for coolers and adaptors. anyway, I have tried to research it for a while and hooked it up and all is good, I get the most questions of why I want 2 filters, you should hear some of the comments about it. Whats the difference, there was 2 plugs there, so if the oil barely goes thru the remote, what did the oil do with the plugged holes? nothing. and the oil is not by-passing the stock fiter, if it was, it's now going thru the remote filter, whats the difference? I have a 08 nightrain.

Whats the difference, there was 2 plugs there, so if the oil barely goes thru the remote, what did the oil do with the plugged holes? nothing. and the oil is not by-passing the stock fiter, if it was, it's now going thru the remote filter, whats the difference? I have a 08 nightrain.

The holes were used during the making of the case. Some type of tooling was done through them. Only way to plug them was well with the plugs.

By adding a second oil filter to those holes you now divide the oil between the two filters. Some of it to the stock and the rest to the remote. Your not redirecting the oil just splitting it into two paths.

Basically you went to a whole lot of trouble for not a lot of benefit.

You have doubled the filter capacity, good. Also oil should reach engine sooner because of less restriction with dual filters. Good idea!
wilks3

I would have to agree with smitty. It would be kind of like adding an addition to your house and not increasing the capacity of the Heating/Cooling system. If in that case you just added new duct work for the addition and didn't compensate for the extra work the existing system would have to do I don't believe that it would be efficient.

The bike's oil system is designed for a specifc flow and pressure. Extra lines and extra filter can't be a good thing IMO.

There has been many a discussion about oil coolers which is generally an acceptable modification that could result in slight loss of oil pressure. I would say that an oil cooler has an acceptable design so that the pressure drop is minimal. An extra filter is a risk I would believe. The filter may well restrict your oil flow and drop the oil pressure to unacceptable levels.
This is a good read, and I might add with the use of another filter you double the chance of a leak with more hose routing JMO

If you hooked them up in series you would be right. Filter to filter to engine. The way Overload has them hooked up in parallel, where one oil line "T's" to the filters. Each filter now gets 1/2 flow that is less restriction in each filter. In effect you have made the small Harley filter twice the filtering capacity, which is less restriction with same given flow.
wilks3

Back