free website stats program Oil consumption | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil consumption

Hi guys,

Last April I rebult the top end on my 05 Dyna. It has been using one Qt. of oil every 500 to 600 miles. It's not smoking or faling plugs and seem to run great, but it never used oil like that before. I've put about 3000 miles on sense the rebuild. The only thing I know I did'nt do right is when we bored the cylinders we did'nt use torque plates. Would this explain the oil use?

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi guys,

Last April I rebult the top end on my 05 Dyna. It has been using one Qt. of oil every 500 to 600 miles. It's not smoking or faling plugs and seem to run great, but it never used oil like that before. I've put about 3000 miles on sense the rebuild. The only thing I know I did'nt do right is when we bored the cylinders we did'nt use torque plates. Would this explain the oil use?

Thanks,
Chuck

That could do it. Are the rings on correctly? I would tear it down and have a machine shop check the cylinders and Pistons:s

It's not smoking or faling plugs and seem to run great,

I had an engine once that I thought was not burning oil also. Just looking in the rear mirror and turning my head around told me I was not burning oil. Then one day I FOLLOWED my cage down the street at night with headlights on.. Whole different sad story.

Check the A/C. See if it's wet.

I'm as sure as I can be the ring were put on right, I've put a few on over the years and never had a problem before... but there's always a frist time. the guy that did the boring builds high end race engines, but dose'nt work on Harleys. He didn't think there would be a problem.

Place each piston at TDC and perform a cylinder leakage test at 90 PSI. Your leakage should be very low. (less than 5%). Not a great oil ring quality test but would do it just to see.

Boring a cylinder without Torque-plating IS a Problem.. The cylinder Is Not bored straight as it needs to be.. Showing up on the fact that it has used Oil from the start.. Right?

Now IF you put the second piston-ring in up-side-down (bevel or dot wrong way) it will still Hold compression BUT push-scrape Oil into the cylinder and May be your problem also..

Torque-plating is necessary to Hold the Cylinder DEFORMED,,, like the way it will be after tightened on the motor.THEN bored...

signed....BUBBIE

Back