free website stats program Oil consumption on RK2009 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil consumption on RK2009

wishbiker

Hello everybody,

My oil consumption on my new bike is 1/2 gauge for 1000miles. It's time for my first revision in my dealer but i find is excessive consumption?:(

It's my third harley and it's the first time i have a big consumption like this:small3d012:.
Do you think it's normal on a new bike?

Thanks

Assuming you mean 1/2 quart for the 1000 miles, that's about normal for a new motor until they break in and things seat. it should taper off after a few thousand miles.

"1/2 quart for the 1000 miles" Exactly:D

Thank you very much for this opinion:s which reassure me. My other harley has never consumed of or my anxiety for my road king

"1/2 quart for the 1000 miles" Exactly:D

Thank you very much for this opinion:s which reassure me. My other harley has never consumed of or my anxiety for my road king

I wouldn't be happy with that rate of consumption. The rings should be seated in the first 150 miles or so and the engine should not be consuming oil. Unfortunately, the MoCo will tell you that a quart every 1000 miles is "normal". I hope it stops with more miles but, broken in properly, there is no reason for that rate of oil consumption.

Make sure you ride it like you stole it, I know of many who baby new motors, whether bikes or cars or trucks and they have nothing but problems...don't ask me how I know this for sure. Now whenever I buy anything new I give it the berries....within reason of course....just don't ride it like a nanna or you could glaze the bores...then watch your oil consumption go sky high

What brand and grade of oil is in that engine? A half a quart per 1000 miles should be unacceptable. If you are changing oil per Harley's suggestions then you would burn or leak a couple of quarts. Your rings are not designed to "wear in". They are designed not to wear. At 50k miles you can still easily see the crosshatching on the cylinder walls. My Evo at 80k started using oil about half of what yours is doing. One valve guide seal went bad.
See your dealer first and start with the simple things first. Fossil

Thanks.
I don't know the specification oil on my new bike.
I hope that the consumption low in the time. :newsmile079:
My dealer think that normal to consume 1 quart for 800 miles, it's the official position factory........
It's strange because it's excessive......

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Road King, just got it and have 500 miles so far - no oil used, 1/2 guart / 1,000 miles seems like alot of oil to me.

Back