free website stats program Oil consumption? and air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil consumption? and air filter

mc2

Contributor
I am making my first full oil change to 08 Fat Boy. Full USA service at 500 mi before export. Flushed and changed to synthetic at 3,000 miles, have added a total of 3/4 qt to reach 8,000 miles. Oil appears fairly clean for this mileage. Is this consumption acceptable?

Related?? My air filter will attest to the dirty riding conditions in N. Vietnam. 3 days of soaking, water changes and hand agitations before water remained clean. Minor oil stains remain on bottom of filter. Collecting an inventory of filters for frequent washing and changing.

My thanks for your replies.
Mike

Sounds OK. Should improve with a few more miles.

With harsh conditions, you should reduce your fluid change interval in half. Lots of dust or very humid/wet conditions will be very hard on your fluids.

When you say "synthetic" do you mean a true full synthetic (group 4) or a group 3 oil like SYN3? Use a full synthetic engine oil (20W50 VTwin oil) in the engine and a full synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear oil in the tranny. Use a fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant in the primary (like Formula + or Spectro Chaincase).

Post pix.

TQ

I am running Cycle Shack Synthetic (comporable to HD Syn 3) and found after 2,500 miles of riding this season I was down almost two quarts.

I am hoping this is only a fluke as there is no leaking that I can see and no smoke coming out the tail pipe. I plan to change the engine oil to Mobil V-twin Synthetic this fall before putting the bike into storage.

Using Syn 3 in all three tanks as recommended and plan to shorten the change intervals. My international travels will be very limited, and will rely on friends to bring in what I can get.

Relocating from Hanoi down to Nha Trang in the south next week. Looking forward to the ride.
Thanks for all the replies.

I seem to be losing about a half quart every 3k miles. Seems to be coming out the overflow, and spitting at my air filter. I keep adding to the full line and checking about every other tank of gas or so. This much coming out the overflow normal?
Im running M1 20/50 full synthetic in my engine and primary.

I seem to be losing about a half quart every 3k miles. Seems to be coming out the overflow, and spitting at my air filter. I keep adding to the full line and checking about every other tank of gas or so. This much coming out the overflow normal?
Im running M1 20/50 full synthetic in my engine and primary.

Good oil for the engine, but you may want to consider an alternative for the primary. Tranny should have a full synthetic gear lube:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Consumption is not terrible, but probably more than you want. Not drooling out somewhere and puddling up on the ground, or blowing all over the engine/tranny, right?

How many mile on the bike? EVO, right? Has the nose cone ever been off and if so, what was done? Could the breather timing have been fiddled with? Is it still the plastic one (worn)?

Do a compression test to see how your rings are doing:

Compression Testing - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back