oil choice

Discussion in 'Oil' started by bubbu, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bubbu

bubbu Member

I have been using Castrol synthetic 20/50 in my 87 1100 sporty and someone told me I should'nt use that in the harley. They said to use harley oil or even oil that is for diesel engines other than the Castrol. I didn't disagree with him because I never heard that before. Any feedback would be helpful, I hope I haven't been putting in the wrong oil and doing any kind of damage to the bike. Damn.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

Baloney, from a H D factory rep and a good friend of mine a H D tech Castrol is fine, we ran it in our EVOS for years

3. bubbu

bubbu Member

Isn't there some difference in the Api rating or is that a crock too?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

SG will work fine for you, Castrol 4T 20-50 is OK Harley Davidson Forums

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Air cooled engines need more phosphorus and zinc than water cooled. Motorcycle specific oils usually have that. I used Castrol GTX 20/50 in my '87 Sportster for the 15 years I had it, & it's still running. I used GTX in my '92 Dyna for about 50 K miles, & it still runs like a new one. Oil with a diesel rating (like Shell Rotella) is also good. There will never be an agreement or an end to the oil discussions.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

That is why I like Castrol being SG rated it has the levels of zinc needed:D

7. bubbu

bubbu Member

Thanks guys, that will do it for me. Now off to see my bud and enlighten him.