free website stats program Oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change

skyler

Ok new here but been riding along and reading.
I bought a 2004 Fat Boy, had 18800 miles on it when I got it from the dealer. They did a 20 K service, replacing all lubes. found out they used DINO and I want to eventually replace with Synthetics.'
Looking at recommendations her I think I ma going with Mobile 1,
Spectro Primary crankcase and the Spectro Tranny. My question is, I have put only about 200 miles on the thing and I wont be doing much more riding if any due to weather so do I swap everything for the winter or let everything stay in there for the winter and then swap in the spring or wait until the usual oil change

You can change it now for the winter, there shouldn't be any reason to wait if you want to change to synthetics.

Like glider recommends - with your situation (low-mile oil, but want synth) - just change engine oil & wait until next recommended service change on tranny & clutch b/c they don't generate the same heat & contaminates like your motor. Enjoy that scoot!

It is always best to store your bike with fresh engine oil and filter. The old oil has contaminates in it such as acids and carbon etc.
Ken

Ok thanks, Might just make the switch as winter projects and do it all little by little, I think I have plenty of time before real riding begins again for us here in the midwest

All the above are Good.....

IF Me and mine,

I would let it sit this winter with the oil it has in it Now... Heck, 200 miles is just ONE heat cycle for me........ NO Way would I toss it out...

I would ride it this spring and get the most out of the 200 mile OLD oil:laugh,2500 miles atleast on the dino then change ALL out to synthetics...:newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

IF Me and mine,

I would let it sit this winter with the oil it has in it Now... Heck, 200 miles is just ONE heat cycle for me........ NO Way would I toss it out...

I would ride it this spring and get the most out of the 200 mile OLD oil:laugh,2500 miles atleast on the dino then change ALL out to synthetics...:newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with Bubbie here, I had the bad habit when I lived in MN, of riding in the winter, only word of caution here is make sure if riding in winter is make SURE you ride long enough to warm the oil up good, water condensation will take its toll, change oil more often if riding in winter weather:s

IF Me and mine,

signed....BUBBIE

This would be my choice, no reason to dump that yet, hasn't had time to get a lot of contaminates. In the spring, run it for a while, another 1000 or so then do the change.
Harley.

What about the choice of synthetics? I went to Amsoil and use the same weight for all three but I have a 2007 FLH which I understand to be a little different since it has the 6 speed. A friend runs Mobile 1 because it is easier to find.

What about the choice of synthetics? I went to Amsoil and use the same weight for all three but I have a 2007 FLH which I understand to be a little different since it has the 6 speed. A friend runs Mobile 1 because it is easier to find.

You'll find so many posts on this topic on the forum, it will keep you reading for a year.

Back