free website stats program oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change

franckie1968

Hi, I have to change the oil on my sportster 883 of 2005, about 10,000 miles, which to take?
Synthetic or semi-synthetic?
This will only change the engine oil or other oils.
thanks

Your 05 Sporty will have an oil reservoir tank on the bike & plug under crankase with small tube connected to drain. This is for motor only (clutch/tranny are separate) & I'd use good synthetic oil (like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Spectro, RedLine, etc.). Enjoy wrenching on the bike.

Welcome to the forum. Which oil to use is going to depend on who you ask. You are going to get a wide variety of answers between different people. Best advice I can give you is visit the oil section on this forum and get ready for some reading. There is an oil poll on there that shows the most popular selections by members of this forum. You could spend a whole day reading about oil on this forum! Personally I run mobil 1 full synthetic, but thats just me. Generally most people recommend running a quality full synthetic over the blended stuff but like I said the choice is yours.

Hi, I have to change the oil on my sportster 883 of 2005, about 10,000 miles, which to take?
Synthetic or semi-synthetic?
This will only change the engine oil or other oils.
thanks

You'll pay just as much for the semi synthetic as you would for a full synthetic so why even consider a semi synthetic?

Mobil 1 V Twin is a good choice.

One more positive for Mobil 1 V-twin is you can find it at any autozone, o'reilly auto parts and even most walmarts. No need to tanker oil on long hauls.

You'll pay just as much for the semi synthetic as you would for a full synthetic so why even consider a semi synthetic?

Mobil 1 V Twin is a good choice.

The cost is offset by you doing service your self. So treat you bike to the best....

I would go with the Full Synthetic.

AMSOIL created the Synthetic oil industry and has never offered a blend or semi synthetic. They don't sell a compromised oil. A blend is just that, a compromise.

For your Sportster follow the below link to a DIY (Do It Yourself) set of oil service tips. In the linked post you will find several further links on Oil Service for the Sportster.

Harley Oil Changes, DIY (Do It Yourself) Using AMSOIL (of course) - Harley Davidson Community
Back in 89 when I first started with Amsoil, there was no baseline for the synthetic oil. There was Mobile 1 but I remember that being a mixture. Still one of the things that let me feel a bit more comfortable about the possibility of urgent availability was that you can/could mix/add any oil to the Amsoil. So that let me relax knowing that. That said I never had to go that route.

Back in 89 when I first started with Amsoil, there was no baseline for the synthetic oil. There was Mobile 1 but I remember that being a mixture. Still one of the things that let me feel a bit more comfortable about the possibility of urgent availability was that you can/could mix/add any oil to the Amsoil. So that let me relax knowing that. That said I never had to go that route.

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 here is a good read biased I think not JMO:s

Back