Oil change

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by conchman, Sep 24, 2010.

1. conchman

conchman New Member

How many quarts of oil to change, with new filter for 2008 FLHX Street Glide?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would not go by that method. Since it is a dry sump system, you never drain all the old oil out during a change.. I just add fresh oil until the stick reads the proper level when HOT while on the Jiffy stand.

If you go by a "measured amount", most times you will come up with an "overfill". That will almost always sludge up your IAC stepper motor.

3. Troy1225

Troy1225 Active Member

I have a 2008 FLHR. When I do an oil and filter change, I start with 3 1/2 quarts. Next time the motor is hot, I check the oil and add if necessary. I like to run mine a little below the full mark to avoid the oil in the air filter.

4. gazrnr

gazrnr Member

I noticed the same thing as Troy. When I do my oil & filter I add 3 Qt's then warm the bike up, short ride, then fill to just below the hot fill mark and I do not get as much oil in the airfilter as I did by my previous method of adding the recommended amount all at once. Don't know why it works but for me it does.

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

As w/others, I usually have 4qts available b/c the actual amount changes from each service. Should be ~3.5 quarts on average...

6. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

Yep, about 3.5 on a 08 FLHTCU

7. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As the others have said, just a quick reminder that I fill the new oil filter with about 4-6oz of fresh oil and roll it around to make sure the element is saturated for about 3-5 minutes and gasket. Install quickly with drain tray still in place and there will be no oily mess.

Joyflyin Does A Service - Archive - Harley Davidson Community