oil change

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by 09 deluxe, Dec 31, 2009.

1. 09 deluxe

09 deluxe Member

Hi everyone,
    Just bought an 09 deluxe, and was looking for some advice.
    I have read your info on a Complete Oil Change (Softail) and this sounds great. I have always liked keeping the oil and fluids clean in anything I have owned.
    The bike was slightly used with 1900 miles on it. I assume it is not to late in the game to change to synthetic oil.
    I'm not sure what's in there now.
    I have seen on some video, that you should add some oil to the new filter before you put it on. One video said 4 ounces. do you do this when you do the Complete Oil Change? Do you do this with synthetic oil?

Thanks for your help

2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bike! IMO, change all fluids ASAP & look in the Self-Help Tips for oil recommendations. Be prepared - there are quite a few postings, but lots of good info/tips. I use Mobile-1 20W50 Synth in the engine, Mobile-1 Synthetic gear oil in the tranny & HD Formula+ in the primary. Definitely get the Synthetic in engine & tranny! Only oil I put in/on the filter is surface coating the rubber gasket. Not a bad idea to add some oil to the filter & I might try it next change (if it won't run out everywhere). Also, if you plan on self-maint. & keeping the bike for awhile, might want to invest is a good/quality cycle jack. Makes it easier to access everything & work/wrench around the bike. Cheers & Safe Riding!

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I tried it. It does run out everywhere. Don't waste your time.:p

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Thanks Hoople - that's what I thought b/c my bike/filter are level when on the lift. Didn't think I could spin fast enough to prevent spillage.

5. 09 deluxe

09 deluxe Member

Is there a better or best synthetic oil?
    I keep hearing people talk about amsoil.
    As well, what weight of tranny fluid? 75w90 or 75w140 or something else?

6. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I would highly recommend Spectro 6 Speed 75-140 oil in the tranny. I put it in my Heritage and the wife's Deluxe. Queiter and smoother shifting in 10 to 15 miles of riding. Also found out there's neutral between 1st and 2nd.