oil change

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by jakester, Sep 26, 2009.

1. jakester

jakester Member

I just got my 2006 Heritage. I want to change the oil and I looked at some of the posts on this site but there are no pictures. ( I didn,t get the owners manual ) From what I can see there is a hose that comes down from the reservoir to the bottom of the bike. If I remove the allen bolt in the bottom of this than the oil should drain. The oil filter is pretty straight forward so I'm O/k there. If I'm on the wrong track here or you have any further feedback let me know. Thanks.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

That's about the size of it, just run it a bit to warm it up first. You're on the right track there Jake.

3. springer03

springer03 Active Member

u r correct... take the filler cap (dip stick) off to make it drain about 5 times faster.

4. jakester

jakester Member

Thanks for the replies. The transmission isn't due till 20k mi. and I've got 16k mi. on it so I'm OK there is there anything else I need to change at the same time as the oil. Thanks .

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

whens the primary due? what about plugs .. air cleaner service .. grease the steering head bearings .. give it a general check over since you just bought it .. if you dont have the service manual yet buy it will save you lot of headaches

6. jakester

jakester Member

Thanks, this is what I need to know until I can get an owners and service manuals. I had a metric bike before but its really an apples and oranges thing. I live in the middle of no where, closest Harley dealer over 75mi. so looking for best Internet site for purchasing books or downloads.

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

you can order the service manual on line from one of the dealers

8. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

9. Caper

Caper Active Member

Service Manual 99482-06 and Parts Catalog 99455-06A they would be the best 2 tools in the box.

10. gevange

gevange New Member

Go on Harleys website, click owners, enter your info and it will tell you what needs to be done.