free website stats program oil change tools,08 heritage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change tools,08 heritage

Well, all went just fine on oil change,trans was the one I had a bit of a snag, 5/8 socket stopped when it went against the shock threaded it back in and got socket out and used allen or hex whatever they are called to remove rest of the way.The drain plugs had pipe dope or liquid teflon on them I cleaned them up and used new o-rings hope I don't have any problems rode about 10 miles and parked it in buddys garage put cardboard under it overnight to see if anything drips.fill tube for trans was fairly loose and I'm glad, only tool I had was L-shape allen or hex wrench,Anybody have a clue if it was pipe dope or liquid teflon Is there even a difference???Should I worry about it,Maybe they used it for extra sealing ??

It's used as a thread sealant and you don't have to remove it. Any thread sealant will do the job and you can replace it on the next change.

O-rings are great, but if somebody has been in there before & buggered up the seating area or galled some of those aluminum threads, I can't see how a dab of pipe dope can hurt to keep it sealed. The last thing you want is to find a drip after the oil change. You have to drain it and start all over. I think to do it right, a guy can pull the plug, let it drain/drip all night, use some brake cleaner on a rag and clean the oil off the threads in the case, and the plug, use some tape or pipe compound & a new O-ring & hope for the best.

O-rings are great, but if somebody has been in there before & buggered up the seating area or galled some of those aluminum threads, I can't see how a dab of pipe dope can hurt to keep it sealed. The last thing you want is to find a drip after the oil change. You have to drain it and start all over. I think to do it right, a guy can pull the plug, let it drain/drip all night, use some brake cleaner on a rag and clean the oil off the threads in the case, and the plug, use some tape or pipe compound & a new O-ring & hope for the best.

Sounds like you got it figured out. As for the socket hitting the shock, was this by chance a deep socket you used? I have always used a short 5/8" socket without issues but can see how a deep socket could bottom out on the shocks if its to deep. Just curious.

Sounds like you got it figured out. As for the socket hitting the shock, was this by chance a deep socket you used? I have always used a short 5/8" socket without issues but can see how a deep socket could bottom out on the shocks if its to deep. Just curious.

No it was a short one and I didn't have it on a lift and probably just me being stupid anyway the drain plugs are not as tight to remove as I thought they would be so I didn't even torqe them, just by feel ???

Back