Oil Change (softail)

Discussion in 'Oil' started by edsfxr2, May 10, 2015.

1. edsfxr2

edsfxr2 Member

Got a ??? I ride a 2005 Deluxe I use Mobil 1 V- Twin in my engine I have heard that I can run it in my trans primary & engine . Dose anyone know for sure ???

2. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

I have run Mobil V-Twin 20W-50 in all 3 holes on last two bikes.47000 miles total.

3. Stevecracker

Stevecracker Member

You can, a good many people on here and myself use more specific products in the primary and gearbox.
    I am surprised there have not been more replies so far. An oil question draws more debate than religion!
    There is an oil post that is years long, if I knew how to link it I would.
    I would read that-you have much better lubricants out there for the primary and gearbox. Many people run the Mobil V-Twin in the engine with good results

In the end it is your choice.

Steve

4. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Like stevecracker says, many do but a motor oil is not designed to withstand the rigors of gear box. Additionally, there is no need to run a synthetic oil in the primary. Conventional 20W50 in the primary; 20W50 synthetic in the motor and a good gear oil like Mobil 75/90 or Redline Shockproof in the gear box is a good combination.:coffee

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

It is your bike, so do what you feel comfortable with.

Here is what I suggest:

Generic fluid recommendations

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
    Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
    Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, Redline Primary, etc.)

Cheers,

TQ