free website stats program Oil Change Question? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Question?

injunwil

i've owned several motorcycles, but never an HD. i just got one, a few days ago, and have a couple maintenance questions.

i watched the vids linked, on this site, but didn't find what all i was looking for.

(1) how often should i change the oil? i know with a Japanese sportbike, it's not just a matter of mileage, but time as well. with my gixxer, even if it had only gone 100 miles, it was important to change the oil every six months. is a Sportster the same? what are the recommended intervals?

(2) what weight oil is recommended?

(3) any other requirements other than it being motorcycle rated oil?

(4) how much oil, with a filter change is required to fill it?

it's a 2005 Sportster 1200 custom.

also, are Sportsters the "XL" models?

thank quys.

Welcome Injunwil to the HDTimeline forum and your post, answers to your questions are below:

i've owned several motorcycles, but never an HD. i just got one, a few days ago, and have a couple maintenance questions.

i watched the vids linked, on this site, but didn't find what all i was looking for.

(1) how often should i change the oil? i know with a Japanese sportbike, it's not just a matter of mileage, but time as well. with my gixxer, even if it had only gone 100 miles, it was important to change the oil every six months. is a Sportster the same? what are the recommended intervals?

NHD 1.) Sportster has two holes, and typically I do my engine oil changes a bit more often because I do short commutes every day.

A. Engine only (100% Synthetic V-Twin motor oil 20W-50 Oil recommended like Mobil I V-Twin $9.99/qt will use about 3.0 Qts. Don't forget to fill new HD oil filter 1/2 full with fresh oil, wetting interior element and gasket w/light film and install quickly to avoid spillage, at most 5,000 miles or 6 months depending on how rough service you choose to run your bike (hopefully you have a manual, best $60 you will ever spend) or just before winter storage (if applicable).

B. Tranny, Primary & Clutch are in the 2nd hole; Use 85 Spectrol Gear Oil for Primary Chain & safe for Oil wetted clutches (if you want to use Motor Oil use MA grade Motorcycle oil. Fill through Primary Derby Cover 32 oz or 1qt to 38 oz or 1 L (1st time so you know exact volume needed to touch bottom of clutch gear basket with level bike) then in future via inspection cover once you know proper volume using funnel & hose to make life easier).

(2) what weight oil is recommended?

NHD Engine: 20W-50 100% Syn V-Twin
Tranny,Primary,Clutch: 85W Primary Chain Case - Gear Oil Spectrol safe for oil wetted clutches, heavier oil to help lube tranny and chain.

(3) any other requirements other than it being motorcycle rated oil?

NHD 100% Syn V-Twin safe for Harley (Air & Oil Cooled Engines) and MA rated.

(4) how much oil, with a filter change is required to fill it?

NHD 3.0 Qts (prefill that new oil filter w/ approx. 4oz. fresh oil (about 1/2 full)

it's a 2005 Sportster 1200 custom. also, are Sportsters the "XL" models?

NHD XL models is the "generic" designation for modern Sportsters

thank quys.

Couldn't of said it better than NEWHD74FAN...follow the recommendations & you'll enjoy many miles of carefree riding. My previous HD was a XL1200C & I used the same exact oils & definitely watch the interval changes if you have short commutes too. My home - work ride is 10-miles round trip so I'll change more often too. Enjoy!

Is synthetic oil required?
What is Harley oil, synthetic or dino oil?

I know the mechanic at the shop I got my bike from, and he said he uses the valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil (dino oil)...

I know synthetic withstands high temps better, but also tends to leak more.

I always ran the valvoline motorcycle oil in my bikes and had good results, but they might not run as hot as the 1200...

$10.00 a quart seems crazy!

Brett

The "dig" that Synthetic "leaks more" is related to use in much older "looser" tolerance bikes of the 70's...! Does not reflect your new ride which is built to much tighter and true tollerances. If you MUST use dino oil...just make sure it is MA rated for UJM (Universal Japanese Machines) of old inline four air and oil cooled highly reved, tuned and stressed engines, transmissions, primary/oil wetted clutches which were the epitomy of design, before EPA restrictions and race tuning closed the party down. Just imagine one 10W-30 weight oil used typically for all in one, rather than two or three holes like the Sportster or Big Twins oil tank/dry sump system.

Since your engine is separate for the tranny, primary/wet clutch...you can take advantage of the 100% Synthetic "pure" oils, which have friction modifiers for heat resistance, coefficient of friction and so your engine will run cooler and such. Those same friction modifiers are DETRIMENTAL to your oil wetted clutch, so that is why I use Spectrol 85W Primary Gear, Trans and safe for wet clutches. Expensive for these specialized oils...being as you use 2.7 qts or so in the engine hole and perhaps 1 to 1.2 qts in the other hole AND you do the work yourself...it amounts to not much more than if you had the dealer do it, and in the process, bought the $60 manual (or $15 CD) and learned how to do it and still saved close to $100 the very first time. A bargain...JMO. As in any repair, the materials are usially 1/3 or less than the overall labor cost. Going cheap is not necessarily "better", just a choice.

Last edited:
I think I will order some amsol oil for the bike.
So far its been cool out, but I bet the motor on my new bike gets very hot in hot weather.
Anyone know what oil comes in the new bikes?
Is it break in oil, synthetic, or dino bike oil?

Brett

Brett, Amsoil 100% Syn is good oil...there are comparable oils, check Search tab and use keywords...oil poll and find what your brothers and sisters are using. Check out the Self Help tab for videos and info on how to do it right, including secret on how not to spill oil all over the lower engine mount, and what consumables like gaskets and o-rings and such you will need. Enjoy...! :D

NewHD74Fan wrote:
" Don't forget to fill new HD oil filter 1/2 full with fresh oil, wetting interior element and gasket w/light film and install quickly to avoid spillage,"

I just changed my oil yesterday for the first time since getting my bike, I kinda wish I read your tip NewHD on filling the filter 1/2 full, I will next time...
-Van Island

Do that on your car also....

Filters soak up a lot of oil, you can likely fill it, let it soak in, fill it half way and install it....

Brett

Back