free website stats program Oil Change Neeed? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Neeed?

hd4evr

Banned
I only had about 1200 miles on the oil in my bike (Mobil One V-Twin) when I put it away last fall. Now it looks like I'm going to need back surgery, which means I'll probably only get about 2000 miles on my bike this summer, if that, since I can't ride very far or long at one time.. Do you think it will be OK to run that oil all summer and change it this fall, even though it will be over a year since the last change? The bike will only have about 2,500 to 3,000 miles on the oil. Can I just run the Mobil One V-Twin til this fall? Seems like it wouldn't hurt, but what do you all think?

Yes the oil will be fine. There are some people who would change the oil for one reason or another but I think an oil change is not needed, once again for one reason or another.

I'll probably only get about 2000 miles on my bike this summer, if that, since I can't ride very far or long at one time..

How far or how long at one time? The oil likes to get up to temp to burn out moisture or anything else. If it was me, I would have changed for winter storage.
Not sure if you change the oil yourself, but if you do, I would change it. If I had to take it to a mechanic, not sure that I would.
To be honest, I think you'll be fine waiting till fall. (your ride). Just don't ride it for 10 minutes and then shut it down. I would get in at least 1/2 an hour ride to get it all warmed up.
Hope your back gets better.

I only had about 1200 miles on the oil in my bike (Mobil One V-Twin) when I put it away last fall. Now it looks like I'm going to need back surgery, which means I'll probably only get about 2000 miles on my bike this summer, if that, since I can't ride very far or long at one time.. Do you think it will be OK to run that oil all summer and change it this fall, even though it will be over a year since the last change? The bike will only have about 2,500 to 3,000 miles on the oil. Can I just run the Mobil One V-Twin til this fall? Seems like it wouldn't hurt, but what do you all think?

Now it may seem wrong to some but I'll go with I would run it. 1200 miles is not much on that oil.. Different circumstances I MIGHT do it different..

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with the general consensus here. I switched last fall to the Mobil 1 V-twin and prior to the change, I researched the oils (dino and fake stuff) and learned taht you can actually go about twice the normal miles on the good Mobil V-twin. I will still always change it once a year becaue I should average about 2-3k a season (put 2k on last summer Aug-Oct). If I were in your position, i would sleep soundly leaving the oil in until this fall. If you have a longer recovery time and don't get as many miles as you are expecting, I would sleep well leaving it in over the winter and maybe changing mid summer or next fall. The newer synthetics are really well made and bullet proof. Of course it would depend on the type of riding you do for the miles you are able to put on it this summer. Hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

Change it before you lay it up for the winter.

Bodeen

Do you think it will be OK to run that oil all summer and change it this fall, even though it will be over a year since the last change? The bike will only have about 2,500 to 3,000 miles on the oil. Can I just run the Mobil One V-Twin til this fall? Seems like it wouldn't hurt, but what do you all think?

Change it and the filter after the summer riding before winter lay up. Keep the battery on a tender too when you aren't using the bike.

Change it and the filter after the summer riding before winter lay up. Keep the battery on a tender too when you aren't using the bike.

If you go to the top of the page to "menu jump" and go to "store". First item on the list is a battery tender for $15.90. A great deal on a good product.

Bodeen

Thanks guys! Already have the battery tender, keep my bike on it whenever I park it. Not sure how long I'm gonna be off the bike but I'm gonna try to ride as much as I can. I usually ride no less than 20-25 miles when I go out for a "quickie".

Back