free website stats program Oil change, Electra Glide Ultra 04 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change, Electra Glide Ultra 04

Lorenzini

Not sure it is the right place for my 2 questions... I guess those points have been discussed tons of times but I can't find clear answers.

I am planning to make the oil change for the Electra I just bought. I have a Honda Seven Fifty and I do all that kind of things by myself.

Regarding the oil, I heard that we can use simple mineral oils (20w50 for the engine, 10w40 for the primary, 80w90 for the transmission). And I heard we can use synthetic oil... I am not an expert in the oil field, I thought synthetic is better than mineral. Do you have experience on that ?

Is it compulsory to put the bike on a central stand ? If I leave it on its left stand, is that an issue ?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Fred

Fred, I have an 09 Ultra. For the engine, I use Mobil 1, 20-50 V Twin synthetic; for the transmission I use either Amsoil 75/90 synthetic gear oil or Redline shockproof V twin synthetic transmission oil; and for the primary, I use HD Formula plus. There are other good oils to use but I have had no problems at all after 50,000 miles.

Fred, I have an 09 Ultra. For the engine, I use Mobil 1, 20-50 V Twin synthetic; for the transmission I use either Amsoil 75/90 synthetic gear oil or Redline shockproof V twin synthetic transmission oil; and for the primary, I use HD Formula plus. There are other good oils to use but I have had no problems at all after 50,000 miles.
Ditto on Redline shockproof, Don't be alarmed by strange color. Easier shifts...

Are you saying that you wish to add a center stand or leave parked on jack up in the air????

Are you saying that you wish to add a center stand or leave parked on jack up in the air????

I told you I was waiting for an oil thread.:D I will sit this one out and watch from the sidelines since I don't pre-fill my filter and still use conventional oils; don't want to lead the new member away from conventional wisdom.:(

Nothing wrong with pre-filling the filter.
I have all the oils/filters set out and during the time to drain various oils, the element sucks up the oil.
When I'm ready for filter install, you don't even see the oil you've added.
Fluid changes aren't done like a NASCAR pit stop.
I take my time, gives me a chance to do a walk-about, checking for loose nuts/bolts and lighting.

Nothing wrong with pre-filling the filter.
I have all the oils/filters set out and during the time to drain various oils, the element sucks up the oil.
When I'm ready for filter install, you don't even see the oil you've added.
Fluid changes aren't done like a NASCAR pit stop.
I take my time, gives me a chance to do a walk-about, checking for loose nuts/bolts and lighting.

There was another thread going pertaining to if you should pre fill the filter or not. Interesting comments from members, some do and some do not.

As you said "nothing wrong with pre filling the filter" and you are correct, whatever gives you peace of mind.
I find it not necessary to pre fill because the engine is already sufficiently lubed for the short (couple seconds) time it takes for the light to go out and you build pressure.

Also keep in mind during a oil change, not all the oil is evacuated from the engine, there's about a quart still hiding inside.:eek:

Back