free website stats program Oil change 2008 heritage classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change 2008 heritage classic

2006FXDCI

Friend of mine has a 08 heritage classic and wants his oil changed. He doesn't have a service manual so I was wanting to know the procedure for changing the oil and also need info on how much oil it takes. Thanks for any info, Josh

Friend of mine has a 08 heritage classic and wants his oil changed. He doesn't have a service manual so I was wanting to know the procedure for changing the oil and also need info on how much oil it takes. Thanks for any info, Josh

Josh,

Does he Not have the owners guide that comes with the bike?
It shows all service and schedules HD says to do, the quantities also there..

Look in the self Help or Type key words into the "Search Forum" seeing Many other Threads/Post that cover this topic.. Just easier than information again, and again...(my thoughts) Others May want to respond here.:D

thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Should be 1-HD #5 filter + 3.5 qts of oil (need 4).
- Run bike to ops temp
- Place pan under bike & pull oil plug
- Let drain...remove filter (I punch hole in end to clear filter)
- New filter - tighten to spec
- Insert plug (tighten) & add oil (just between full & low marks)
- Run bike - check level...add if necessary

Good luck!

Used this in another posting.. Good one to try.

I have a Method I use....
Take 4 quarts of oil... Uncap the 4th quart and fill the oil filter up to the threaded area NOT over. and Just ONCE.. allow oil to soak into the filter...PUT the Cap Back ON the 4th quart....
Now
Dump the Three(3) quarts into the oil tank...
Install oil filter while bike is on the kick-stand and NO oil will come out.

Then take bike for a ride and get it hot.. Home, Check level Hot and ONLY IF Too LOW add oil to No More than a 1/4 inch BELOW the full line...
If It needs a little, Using JUST a Little out of the 4th Qt you capped... DON'T Over Fill....

No measuring to do with this oil change,,, Right. and No thought of "How Much Oil Did I Put In"???

3.5 quart is WAY MORE than enough ... so MY method above, I use, Keeps it BELOW the Hot full line when HOT ...

Capping the 4th Quart after One oil fill in the filter.. A must do.. Save Qt for the Next oil change to fill the filter Once...

signed....BUBBIE

That's a Cool trick. I have to give that a try the next time I change oil.

(I have tried the cut away soda bottle thing which did not work for me)

I did this and thought Man is someone Smart or are They SMART......... THEN i punched a hole in top and another in bottom of filter, 1/4 inch size or better.... ONLY to find NO PAN NEAR BY....
RAGs were Moving fast and in big demand after to clean up the HOT oil mess....:laugh

Isn't it the boy scouts that have the Motto BE PREPARED?

Too Bad I Never joined that group..:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

That's a Cool trick. I have to give that a try the next time I change oil.

(I have tried the cut away soda bottle thing which did not work for me)

Hoop; we did this trick all the time on farm - I forgot to mention (like bubbie stated) have pan ready...I make tinfoil trench & route to pan so there's little/no mess.

Only thing that might trick you guys is the placement of the oil drain plug, built into the frame rear right side below the oil tank. it took me a while to find mine the first time I changed the oil. wicked.

Back