free website stats program oil catcher | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil catcher

I modified a Ocean Spray cranberry juice bottle...cut the small side back a bit, but retain the nozzle end intact so you can "cap" it until your wish to drain contents in your pan...no muss no fuss...and actually a bit healthier for you :p

DSCN0793-1.jpg

DSCN0789-1.jpg

Reading the whole post, it looks like some of you are talking about 2 different things...

chuck60 mentions: "Oil Catcher Drain Oil Funnel", part #63794-10

bavery on the other hand, appears to be talking about: "Low-Profile Oil Drain Pan", part #63795-10

Not wanting to be left out, I suggest you add one of these to your collection. "Primary Oil Fill Funnel", part #62700015 or #63797-10 If you're getting into the primary/derby cover don't forget, on some models it is a #27 Torx driver, NOT a 25! It's posted elsewhere on this forum and I have confirmed on my bike.

Cheers!
Thanks for that most useful info FerrousB! I have copied what you have written and added it to my Harley Folder on my computer for future reference. Seems like I just might get all three!

I've tried several variations of the above mentioned plastic solutions, but could not seem to get a good seal under the filter. What has worked better for me is to form a "Catcher" out of aluminum foil, then fashion a trough to the catch vessel.

I've tried several variations of the above mentioned plastic solutions, but could not seem to get a good seal under the filter. What has worked better for me is to form a "Catcher" out of aluminum foil, then fashion a trough to the catch vessel.

Ditto - still gets some run-off, but less than nothing at all...another tip is to punch hole in oil filter (lowest part @ end) & let it drain before removal.

I allso use the card board funnel under the filter, but before I loosen the filter, I use a 1/4 inch drill bit and drill a hole in the end of the filter to drain it before I take it off. Reduces the mess quite a bit!

Ditto on that porkchop that is the only way on the utra's that I have been able to get away from the mess!!!!

Maybe I am missing something but I bought this a little while ago for my Dyna and I cannot stand it. I've tried it 2 times and always end up with a mess.

1 - Dyna oil filter is a total pain to get out and the catcher if not exactly right misses the oil. Not to mention while you have the filter wrench on the catcher moves causing yet more problems

2 - The hose is not secure at all and the last time just kept falling off...not fun

Add to that my forward controls now get in the way so I have to disconnect the rod to get the thing in there.

Maybe I am missing something but so far I have had now success with it and my Dyna.

I agree, the oil catcher that goes under the filter is near useless.
several yrs ago when I got my first lift table I went to a local sheet metal shop and had a low profile drain pan made in aluminum, long enough to drain all 3 holes at once and as wide as the table. I dont bother trying to keep the oil off the bike when the filter comes off, a couple shots of brakekleen (red can not the green can, the green can will eat paint) and a quick wipe with a rag and all is nice and clean again. I've tried all the catchers, cardboard and most anything I could think of, but the custom pan I had made has kept the shop more oil free than anything. Best 80 bucks I ever spent.

Back