free website stats program Oil Capacity question | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Capacity question

4Barrel

I just did my beginning of season oil and tranny/primary lubricant change (thanks to all the great info avail on this site). The owner's manual for my '07 XL883 calls for 3.6 quarts,and this is the amount I used. However, the dipstick clearly read that I overfilled... I drained off a bit, then had a couple rides, but the cold reading is close to the top, and the hot reading is over the top of the range on the dipstick. Is the owner's manual wrong? What's the actual oil lubricant capacity for my bike, and what would the dipstick read (hot and cold) for when I have the right amount?

Honestly, the 3.6 qt capacity is a bit optimistic...at least on my bike. It is closer to 2.7 quarts, 3.6 qts would have it spilling on to the ground if I park my bike on the jiffy stand. Read carefully how to check the level, as it makes a difference if you meaure the oil cold, but do run it for about 1 minute to make sure you all oil is returned to the tank and oil galleries, and not have "wet sumping" , which is oil that drains past a one way check valve allowing some of the oil in the tank to drain into the sump for a false reading. It also makes a difference if your model year manual specifies the measuring on the jiffy stand (most) or bike level (some).

Merge Posts

Different levels for different bikes but mine states 2.5 quarts. Did you check the level when the bike was on the jiffy stand or standing straight up? Do you have a maintenance manual? Wonder if the capacity is the same in the maintenance manual as in the owner's manual.

I just looked in the self help section under oil related problems and the manual has a misprint. Manual states 3.6 quarts but should be 3 quarts. Check out the self help section under the oil related problems. There is some great information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Merge Posts

DDan...a lot of good stuff in the Self Help section and if you have specific subject matter, use the Search tab and type in keywords to find related threads. We try to help and make things better when we get feedback...Enjoy!:D

I posted this question about my 2007 882R last year. I found that 2.5-2.75 qts works perfect. Check your oil level hot on the kickstand. My local dealer messed up my 1000 mile service. I had to show them the owner's manual for a reference. Don't overfill. Good luck.

I think i screwed up? I was told by my harley dealer that I could run the same oils' in my nprimary as in my tranny. After reading in this forum idk anymore or less for that matter. didn't mean too thread jump btw. Any thoughts on this?? i used vavoline full syn 75w-140 in the primary and 75w-140 spectro six speed in the tranny, zero miles on it since the oil change just warm up and checked for leaks. Should I drain and go with the 10w-30 in the primary or what??!!

I think i screwed up? I was told by my harley dealer that I could run the same oils' in my nprimary as in my tranny. After reading in this forum idk anymore or less for that matter. didn't mean too thread jump btw. Any thoughts on this?? i used vavoline full syn 75w-140 in the primary and 75w-140 spectro six speed in the tranny, zero miles on it since the oil change just warm up and checked for leaks. Should I drain and go with the 10w-30 in the primary or what??!!

Change the primary, thats the wrong lube in there, Jack

I posted this question about my 2007 882R last year. I found that 2.5-2.75 qts works perfect. Check your oil level hot on the kickstand. My local dealer messed up my 1000 mile service. I had to show them the owner's manual for a reference. Don't overfill. Good luck.

Thanks for the clarifications. I presumed that the owners manual was incorrect... but it's good to get the validation here. Cheers :cheers

Thanks, Hobbit. Took about 1/2 quart out. Level checks out now. Should I change/clean the oil filter, and/or check the plugs?

Back