free website stats program Oil Cap Won't Push Down | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cap Won't Push Down

Hobbs770

Hi All,

I can't get my oil cap to push down. I didn't pop it up. I noticed it up yesterday so I turned it (had to us a wrench wrapped in a rag) to check the oil. I have seen the Harley directions at there site for checking the oil, and there are a couple of things that seem different. For one, the dip stick they describe is not totally round where as mine is, and for another, I didn't see any slots to align with my cap... I know it was pushed in when I got the bike a few weeks ago...

I rode around last night a bit and the oil didn't seem to leak, but I'm a bit concerned to keep riding without knowing for sure its ok not pushed down flush. Least ways till I can get to my local dealer to figure it out...
All comments welcome..:D

Hi All,

I can't get my oil cap to push down. I didn't pop it up. I noticed it up yesterday so I turned it (had to us a wrench wrapped in a rag) to check the oil. I have seen the Harley directions at there site for checking the oil, and there are a couple of things that seem different. For one, the dip stick they describe is not totally round where as mine is, and for another, I didn't see any slots to align with my cap... I know it was pushed in when I got the bike a few weeks ago...

I rode around last night a bit and the oil didn't seem to leak, but I'm a bit concerned to keep riding without knowing for sure its ok not pushed down flush. Least ways till I can get to my local dealer to figure it out...
All comments welcome..:D

I"LL BET you Need a New one.....

Using a wrench tells me that it may have been ON wrong... To my knowledge, (my 06 1200R I have) the oil caps ARE directional...

Mine is always a Chore to get out and in... Seems they all run TIGHT,,,,Too Tight.

I have tried other "0" rings but always go back to the Original by HD.....

keeping the "0" ring with oil on it and the oil on the plug threads with oil Proved mine to work better.:s

No problem running with it out and just twisted to lock it. The Push IN is just to get it out of the way.

Even just plug "IN" the "0" ring gasket should hold and get you by..

A few I have seen with Duct Tape Covering the Hole... Go Figure....

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks. I didn't wrench it hard, just enough to turn it a bit. I just couldn't grip it...Also, I couldn't tell about the oil level because I didn't push it in.. the end of the stick had oil on it but...

Thanks. I didn't wrench it hard, just enough to turn it a bit. I just couldn't grip it...Also, I couldn't tell about the oil level because I didn't push it in.. the end of the stick had oil on it but...

The oil level within a finger to touch it from the fill top is PLENTY....Go Ride:D

signed....BUBBIE

ALSO many times when it sits for any time (mine overnight) will NOT show oil on the stick..... It is there and JUST gravitated into the SUMP of the engine...

SEEING and KNOWIN oil IS THERE......Starting motor and No Blipping the throttle on the start up for about one minute... and IF you want to watch????? with cap off,,,,YOU can see the oil level coming UP to the norman "IF" full when you parked bike...

Just the way they work....:small3d015:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks BUBBIE, I'm out of here... going south today to the hill country near San Anton, its overcast today but I love to ride!!!!!

I have a similar problem with the cap being very tight, I figure that it must be the nature of them. I bought a rubber strap wrench for that purpose. After pushing the cap down to release it, I use the strap wrench to turn it to pull the cap out - then same to put it back in.
Bit of a pain I know, but it prevents damage.
Just an idea...

Tom

Back