free website stats program oil cap turned sideways | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cap turned sideways

JP777

on my 2007 883l the oil cap is turned side ways while screwed in all the way, i have taken the thing apart looking for a way to get it to go in how it is supposed to but i see no way to do it, it just doesnt look right the way it is and everytime i get off the bike it pops up from my leg pushing it down, anyone else ever had this problem and know of a fix??

The chrome popup oil cap on Sportsters has always been problematic, often even on the HD showroom floor you will see them not turned flush to the oil tank profile. It is a slippery rascal, and my thigh would pop it up at inopportune times, so I ended up changing it out with an HD Multi-fit analog oil temperature guage.:small3d036:

That was one of the few things I didn't like about my former Sporty - the oil dipstick. It's very hard to remove & install correctly. I had to study mine for a bit, but the tabs should follow grooves while twisting. If you're patient & persistent - it will go on correctly. Or, like NEWHD74FAN suggests, might be time for a different one...good luck!

And I thought I was the only one with this problem....EVERY time I do an oil check I end up fightin with it - and if you happen to get a wee drop of oil on your fingers its nearly impossible!:wall

.... so I ended up changing it out with an HD Multi-fit analog oil temperature guage.:small3d036:

Never heard of this - does it simply screw in without all the spring loaded quarter turn baloney? Cat No?

on my 2007 883l the oil cap is turned side ways while screwed in all the way, i have taken the thing apart looking for a way to get it to go in how it is supposed to but i see no way to do it, it just doesnt look right the way it is and everytime i get off the bike it pops up from my leg pushing it down, anyone else ever had this problem and know of a fix??

Not sure I understand your problem here.

I have an 06 1200R sport. The oil cap only screws IN one way.. If I dry off the oil around the rubber "0" ring seal on the dip-stick, it usually Won't turn in easily to complete its right position....

I usually allow oil to drip against the tank threads so it will go in easier.

Mine fits FLUSH into the recess and never a problem coming out (pop up) when i get off..

signed....BUBBIE

thanx for all the help everyone, from what i have seen of it, it seats into the grooves properly twists easily and then stops, like it needs to go another quarter of a turn to get the cap to where when you push the cap down it will be flush so the edges will not be sticking up on the sides of the tank

i will also keep in mnd of a new plug, might be a good thing to go to anyways to see the temp of the oil

LOTS of thanks all, just went in the garage took the seat off so i could get a better grip on it pulled it out and like BUBBIE said lubed it up good with oil and it turned right in to where it is supposed to be, seemed to be easier with the seat off

Last edited by a moderator:
I Know the twist NEEDED can be hard to do with bare hands and the Seat is always in the way....

I have a pair soft thin leather gloves that I put on when it is Difficult to tighten up. (a shammy will work also)... Even use both hands to Twist the darn thing into position..

Glad you found that Lubbing the threaded area and "0" ring made a difference.
It makes it work better..

NOW IF you get a small amount of oil sliding down from under the chrome trim on the oil tank , it is because too much oil...

I thought they could of made an easier twisting type of Plug but it does Look Nice when popped in the right way...:D

signed....BUBBIE

"Flush" design is pretty trick, used on fuel tank caps as well. But the location and tight fit makes it a pain. The good news is Bubbie's trick workes for getting the cap aligned and then pop it down (after drying thorougly, inserting dipstick and pulling out and dripping single drop on leading thread) only, it did not stop me from popping it up when not looking and ending up with oil mess. Hence the HD Oil Temp filler cap...

Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

Last edited:
Had the same problem w/my 07 Sportster.....Took the "O" ring off and it works fine, so the problem seems to be with the size of the "O" ring. I got a slightly thinner ring, one that still seals, but allows the cap to insert,seal and turn to the correct position.

Back