free website stats program Oil cap popping open | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cap popping open

I'll check that out while I'm waiting on the parts I ordered. Although the oem gear had not jumped and appeared ok, I had already ordered the steel one and intend to put it in anyway. might not get to it today though, I have other things on the agenda I need to do.
I'm also thinking of an idea of putting a pressure relief hose on the oil filler housing. Had read elsewhere on someone that did this and supposedly there's a company that sells kits like it. It doesn't fix the root cause of the problem but maybe it keep it from happening again if all else fails.

took a look into the check valve and pressure valve on the oil pump yesterday. they're good, no problems. not gummed up or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running an oil pressure gauge? if so what does it read? If not you may want to consider one so you can see how much pressure the pump is building.

No pressure guage, had not installed one. Installed the s&s breather gear and new ignition in place of the one I broke. I've took it out a few times including a few runs out of town. So far, cap hasn't popped and not noticing any more seepage from pushrod seals. also another leak I had from corner of oil pan which I thought to be a failed gasket has also seems to have stopped. Hoping this means issue is resolved but i'm going to give it some more time before I make that call....lol.

Back