Oil cap/dipstick seems very easy to remove.....

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by DannyDeluxe, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DannyDeluxe

DannyDeluxe Member

I have 2011 FLSTN, it just seems like the cap is very easy to get off. It's never popped off while riding but that is my fear. I guess my question is if this is normal or should it be a snug fit? Mine slides out with no effort what so ever. Thank you....

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

3. DannyDeluxe

DannyDeluxe Member

Thank you, sounds like same problem. Hopefully it's that simple.

4. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

It should fit a little snug. I ended up replacing mine.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My softail dipstick is tight although it is an aftermarket one with an analogue temp gauge

Brian

6. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

I have an '08 FLSTN and my dipstick is quite the snug fit.
    I would suggest for your own peace of mind that once you've checked out dbmg's link, and you're happy that all is ok, then it's treat time.
    I shudder just thinking about losing the Dipstick at highway speeds----

7. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Loosing the dipstick is lesser of the two evils. Think of the mess its going to make.

8. SoonerSoftail

SoonerSoftail Active Member

I bought an aftermarket one with the analog temp gauge a few years ago. It fit loose enough that it worried me. It has grooves in the rubber and I got a couple o-rings that fit in the grooves and made it just a bit larger in diameter. It's worked perfectly for some time now.

9. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

When mine popped out up in the mountains, I thought I lost a lot of oil, ended up being just a little, but it sure did smoke a lot, all over the pipes and oil tank and het chaps, what a mess!

10. joel

joel Junior Member

I know what you mean by the mess if it were to come out.
    I was stopped at a gas station and a guy in the next lane over started his bike and when he revved up the engine so we could all hear his pipes the dip stick shot out and oil sprayed the ceiling, that's like 20 feet up.