free website stats program Oil Burn on my 2011 FXDC . . . | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Burn on my 2011 FXDC . . .

markfsanderson

My 'new' 2011 FXDC now has about 610 miles on her. The last time that I checked Oil on her at around 3 or 4 hundred miles, the oil was just a little low. Last night I checked again, and found that the engine was a bit more than a 1/2 quart low. I checked and re-checked to make sure, following the directions precisely in the manual. I purchased some oil 20W/50 petroleum based motorcycle oil and added 1/2 quart. Ran her for about 30 minutes, checked again and now its at the top. Here are some questions about that:

1) 1/2 quart in about 3 or 4 hundred miles burn - is that normal or is that just because I'm just now breaking in the engine - or?

2) When I drove around 30 minutes or so after topping off the bike, I smelled a bit of 'burnt oil' smell for about 5 or 10 minutes and then it went away . . . normal? It reminded me of the smell I got while I was breaking in the engine using the 10/30/60 method . . .

Sorry for the newbie questions . . . it probably doesn't need to babied that much but I certainly don't want to screw up the engine during the initial break-in period for sure! Thanks for your help!

Mark -Thanks!

Last edited:
Give her some time to wear in, 1/2 quart low is not bad keep in mind full to the top when hOT will cause oil carry over to the Air Cleaner and possible leaks on the exhaust this could be what you are smelling Harley Davidson Community have a look here:s

Give her some time to wear in, 1/2 quart low is not bad keep in mind full to the top when hOT will cause oil carry over to the Air Cleaner and possible leaks on the exhaust this could be what you are smelling Harley Davidson Community have a look here:s

Jack,
I broke in my bike using this method . . . I had to hunt around for a place close by my house to open it up w/out attracting unwanted attention. Found a nice straight road with minimal side streets to do it near the airport. I did this at about 100 mile mark - or maybe a few miles later. Ten times . . . 30 to 60 in third gear . . . smelt a little oil later on maybe the 6th or 7th pass. This is when I checked the oil . . it was just a hair low . . maybe 1/4 qt at most. I'm still babying the engine at 600 miles, no WOT and no bogging . . . I'm favoring higher RPM gear selection over lower. The only way that I deviated from the recommendations was that I'm still running on my manufacturers oil. I'll be changing @ 1000 miles all 3 holes.

Oh - and I did top it off when it was warm . . . I checked it hot but topped off about 2 hours after I had checked it.

Thanks Again!:newsmile03:

Mark

Last edited:
Mark since you did the break in and not hotrodding the engine, I think your fine. There are parts that need to seat in and some oil usage is expected. Why don't you go ahead and change out the fluids, and take a nice long ride. Let us know if the oil level keeps going down.

:newsmile03:
Mark since you did the break in and not hotrodding the engine, I think your fine. There are parts that need to seat in and some oil usage is expected. Why don't you go ahead and change out the fluids, and take a nice long ride. Let us know if the oil level keeps going down.

Sounds like a plan! Depends on how the weekend(s) go . . .either this or next weekend I'll do a complete 3 hole change. Now I just have to settle in on fluid choices and I'll be good to go. Decisions . . . I've pretty much made up my mind on the oil/primary - Mobil One or Castrol . . . they both seem to be high quality and easy availability in this area.

Oh - and can I switch now to synthetics @ 600 miles?

Mark - Thanks!

Last edited:
Mark I've used Moble 1 20/50 V-twin oil since 600 miles. I now have 15000. When I put the bike away last fall I bore scoped the cylinders and they look brand new. Cross hatch marks still nice and shinny. Top of pistons nice and clean. No sign of heat damage or darkening of the cylinder walls. I have bore scoped the bike at 5000, 10000 and 15000 the 15000 looks the same as the 5000. I do use the Harley standard in the trans and primary.

Mark I've used Moble 1 20/50 V-twin oil since 600 miles. I now have 15000. When I put the bike away last fall I bore scoped the cylinders and they look brand new. Cross hatch marks still nice and shinny. Top of pistons nice and clean. No sign of heat damage or darkening of the cylinder walls. I have bore scoped the bike at 5000, 10000 and 15000 the 15000 looks the same as the 5000. I do use the Harley standard in the trans and primary.

This, or possibly next weekend I'll be making the change to Mobile One . . . probably 20W/50 like you have . . .

Mark - Thanks!

Back