free website stats program oil blowing out breather | Harley Davidson Forums

oil blowing out breather

leonard

2008 ultra. At 27000 miles the oil started to come out of the breather. The dealer replaced the umbrella seals and relined the oil pump. It took about a hundred miles before it leaked more oil than before. The dealer then relined the oil pump again and checked the seals. They put about a hundred miles on it yesterday and the oil is still coming out. I had no problems before 27000. I know the oil level is not to high. The dealer is calling harley to see what to do next.

I had the same problem, I have a 2008 105th anniv screaming eagle, I asked 3 diff dealers all said some oil is expected, that seemed odd to me. The fourth did a compression test and I had 22% compression leak in rear cyclinder.
The called harley and all rings were replaced, now 800 miles later no oil leak.

Hope this helps.

Just a comment, with some air cleaner backing plates, there is a problem with high vacuum to the head pan vent during idle and at high RPM's when the engin is supplying large amounts of oil to the heads, especially when the air filter gets a little dirty. The problem compounds it's self by contaminating the air filter with oil causing higher vacuum levels to the heads, sucking more oil, contaminating more and so on. The best fix, if that's the problem, is Arlen Ness's "Big Sucka" free flow air cleaner set up. You might wanna try it before you spend a bunch'o money, they look "cool" too. Oh, the best way to test and see if this is the problem is to simply pull the rubber vent tubes free of the backing plate, clean the air filter or replace and see if the problem goes away.

My Big Sucker would drip enough oil down the backing plate and fill the filter after about 4000 miles. I started cleaning the filter at 2500 miles to get rid of the problem. The heavy breather I'm running now has the same issues.

The breather system in those units is less than optimal. In some of them the breather bolts or passages can be enlarged to breathe better and eliminate the mess.

In some cases a work around venting to the ground has prooved to be the answer but usually there is a problem like oil pump alignment or umbrella valves in the heads causing the problem of excessive oil in the filter,

VentedAFPlate99-09CableThrottleEFIo.jpg

The air filter has been cleaned probable five or six times. On the 08 thier are no rubber hoses going into the engine. The dealer said theat harley gave them a list of things to check, the last one is a compression check. I will find out about that this morning.

The hoses that were referenced above are to replace the venting passages into the filter area and vent to the ground.

I have had this problem with my 2000 also. I tried the venting to the ground trick but found that it actually pulled the oil out? LIke a venturi action? I put things back to stock (rubber tubes shooting into carb throat) and clean the filter regular . So far the puking of oil has been reduced. I did order the bypass kit that sends the return or vent from the cam chest straight to the oil filler spout. It hasn't come yet so we'll see. I will also realign my oil pump (although I did that when I did my 95 conversion and put cam chain tensioners in) and replace breather umbrellas in my heads. Not sure what else to do?

I have a 2008 Electra-Glide Classic with just over 25,000 kms on it.

I had a bit of oil puking out of my air filter housing and onto the cam chest area as well (stage one air intake).

This has only happened once and it was this past summer after two up, loaded down road trip to the Rockies and back. I attributed it to running hard for a week straight at close to maximum gvw.

Got home, cleaned the air filter element and no further problems as of yet.

Hey Canuck , did you ever figure out your oil problem ? I have an 08 Ultra and has been in about 6 times for the same problem

Back