free website stats program Oil around intake on Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil around intake on Ultra

Lawdog314

Have a bit of a, not really oil leak, maybe blow by? Brandy new, 2010 Ultra, 900 miles on it. Changed the pipes, (slip-ons) and installed the SE high flow intake. Last ride as I was putting her to bed, noticed some oil on top of engine and the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Not a lot, but got my attention. Took the intake cover off, and noticed some inside that and on the back side of the filter. There are two bolts holding the body to the cylinders, and I could see a drop of two residing in there.

I ain't a bike doctor, but seems that is where it is coming from. She's due for her 1K service, but I know the shops going to say, "you installed it, you're problem." Which I don't disagree with. I recall two tubes coming off the original bolts on the intake, but the kit had me replace them with some that didn't have tubes.

Was hoping one of you engine doctors could point me in the right direction so I don't have to open my wallet to the shop, (and confirm their suspensions I'm clueless!)

Confession time. I did NOT use a torque wrench on the two bolts. I believe it said 20 inch pounds and I know I didn't over crank it. Should I go beg a wrench from my buddy? Change the "o" rings and see how it does?

As always, appreciate all of your help.

Joe

Have a bit of a, not really oil leak, maybe blow by? Brandy new, 2010 Ultra, 900 miles on it. Changed the pipes, (slip-ons) and installed the SE high flow intake. Last ride as I was putting her to bed, noticed some oil on top of engine and the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Not a lot, but got my attention. Took the intake cover off, and noticed some inside that and on the back side of the filter. There are two bolts holding the body to the cylinders, and I could see a drop of two residing in there.

I ain't a bike doctor, but seems that is where it is coming from. She's due for her 1K service, but I know the shops going to say, "you installed it, you're problem." Which I don't disagree with. I recall two tubes coming off the original bolts on the intake, but the kit had me replace them with some that didn't have tubes.

Was hoping one of you engine doctors could point me in the right direction so I don't have to open my wallet to the shop, (and confirm their suspensions I'm clueless!)

Confession time. I did NOT use a torque wrench on the two bolts. I believe it said 20 inch pounds and I know I didn't over crank it. Should I go beg a wrench from my buddy? Change the "o" rings and see how it does?

As always, appreciate all of your help.

Joe

Did you put new gaskets on the banjo bolts? Is your oil level in tank too high? Is it possible rear rocker box is leaking?

Jack, thanks for the quick come back! Not sure what a "banjo bolt" is, but I did install the two black O rings. This was a new intake and the paper type gasket was installed on the back of the plate. I didn't have any "extra" parts.

I should have said, I probably put 500 miles on it since the switching the intake and pipes. Oil level is fine and I don't think it is coming from the rocker box. Seems strange that both the bolts from the intake are both showing signs of oil getting past. I think this is the same type of intake I had on my 96 Road King, but I had the dealer install that.

Thanks again for getting back so fast.

Jack, thanks for the quick come back! Not sure what a "banjo bolt" is, but I did install the two black O rings. This was a new intake and the paper type gasket was installed on the back of the plate. I didn't have any "extra" parts.

I should have said, I probably put 500 miles on it since the switching the intake and pipes. Oil level is fine and I don't think it is coming from the rocker box. Seems strange that both the bolts from the intake are both showing signs of oil getting past. I think this is the same type of intake I had on my 96 Road King, but I had the dealer install that.

Thanks again for getting back so fast.

The banjo bolts are the ones that bolt to the heads, the heads breathe the left over oil vapors into the air cleaner, the bolts need to be tight with gaskets in place, be careful and use the torque wrench as these bolts are hollow

Back