oil & air filter

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by topside, Jan 18, 2014.

1. topside

topside New Member

have 07 road king have oil, driping out of the air filter,what to do.

2. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like you might be overfilled. (I had the same issue when I got my 07 RK- previous owner overfilled oil. ) I tried pulling some of the oil out with a cooking dropper...forgive me, but I am drawing a blank on proper term...:O

I eventually just decided to drain all the fluids and do a full oil change. I have not had any issues since. Good luck! And I am sure some of the guys with far greater knowledge than I will be along soon.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

+1 Joy. Also OP did not state whether or not he may have a air filter like a K&N that you clean and reoil. It has been known to over oil filter and it runs out of housing....

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

More info needed, how many miles, what kind of filter, is your oil level full to the top? Welcome to the Forum. Toomuch oil in the tank can cause carry over to the filter especially after a hard ride. If you find the oil level too high in your tank you may try a turkey baster to suck out some oil, try running 1/2 qt less oil, check the condition of the breather hoses from the heads to the back of the filter

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Joy, were you referring to a "turkey baster"? :D I love it when a woman can respond quicker to a Harley problem, than she can think of a kitchen tool's name. That's the HDT kind of Woman!

6. Jack Klarich

[​IMG] 1 of these will get er done

7. topside

topside New Member

My air filter is a ness, oil down to half when cold.

8. Jack Klarich

If you have a stock filter, follow the washing outlined in your owners manual. If the area where the head breather hoses attatch is plugged up the oil mist has no where to go but drip out JMO

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I've been a long time Milling the idea to Run the vents into one hose and drop it under the bike.... I know algore won't catch me....:s

I was REALLY Shocked after looking into my intake manifold when I replaced to a New 2012 used unit I purchased. Oil caked and grit on the inners of the manifold.

Venting to the ground is NEEDED or a can... To the ground for me.:bigsmiley25: To say nothing of all the carbon it will eliminate on the pistons/valves...

signed....BUBBIE

10. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. :D

The dogs love my kitchen inabilities some days though. :p