free website stats program Oil Additives | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Additives

I may add a bit of MMO or Seafoam right before an oil change other than that Not needed

WOW!!!! I figured with all of the users on here someone would be swearing by something. I've never used the stuff. As The Tank said, the oil should be doing the job.

I've seen all of the adds and infomercials about one thing or another. Nothing but hype and snake oil in my opinion.

I have never added anything to oil if you get a good oil in the first place it has all the additives it will need already in it

Brian

Additives to me are like all the different types of specialty oils you see advertised.. If you are going to run the mileage way over then they MAY be worth the extra cash but otherwise they are just a waste of money if you do the regular maintenance at the intervals prescribed by the MOCO...... I fell into that trap before but soon realized what a load it was.. When ANY manufacturer claims anything, they are running all tests under ideal conditions to maximize the results in their favor.. I use the regular HD 20-50 in the engine and formula plus in the trans and primary. Because I do the maint at the prescribed intervals the drain plugs have had no debris clinging to them and the money I save can be spent on more useful things like...CHROME :bigsmiley12:.. I know I will probably get flamed for this but it is my opinion..

Additives to me are like all the different types of specialty oils you see advertised.. If you are going to run the mileage way over then they MAY be worth the extra cash but otherwise they are just a waste of money if you do the regular maintenance at the intervals prescribed by the MOCO...... I fell into that trap before but soon realized what a load it was.. When ANY manufacturer claims anything, they are running all tests under ideal conditions to maximize the results in their favor.. I use the regular HD 20-50 in the engine and formula plus in the trans and primary. Because I do the maint at the prescribed intervals the drain plugs have had no debris clinging to them and the money I save can be spent on more useful things like...CHROME :bigsmiley12:.. I know I will probably get flamed for this but it is my opinion..

I agree with Tigg and all the studying I've done supports that most good oils have the quantities needed...

If you consider an additive, ask yourself a questions.

What do I know that the formulators don't?

I know some of those folks, they are smart. Really really smart.

Back