Oil Additives

Discussion in 'Oil' started by 90FXRS, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

Do you use it and if so, what do you use or tried?

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Agreed.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I may add a bit of MMO or Seafoam right before an oil change other than that Not needed

4. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

WOW!!!! I figured with all of the users on here someone would be swearing by something. I've never used the stuff. As The Tank said, the oil should be doing the job.

I've seen all of the adds and infomercials about one thing or another. Nothing but hype and snake oil in my opinion.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I have never added anything to oil if you get a good oil in the first place it has all the additives it will need already in it

Brian

6. Tigg

Tigg Junior Member

Additives to me are like all the different types of specialty oils you see advertised.. If you are going to run the mileage way over then they MAY be worth the extra cash but otherwise they are just a waste of money if you do the regular maintenance at the intervals prescribed by the MOCO...... I fell into that trap before but soon realized what a load it was.. When ANY manufacturer claims anything, they are running all tests under ideal conditions to maximize the results in their favor.. I use the regular HD 20-50 in the engine and formula plus in the trans and primary. Because I do the maint at the prescribed intervals the drain plugs have had no debris clinging to them and the money I save can be spent on more useful things like...CHROME :bigsmiley12:.. I know I will probably get flamed for this but it is my opinion..

7. TUCCI

TUCCI Member

I agree with Tigg and all the studying I've done supports that most good oils have the quantities needed...

8. BluesFan

BluesFan Member

If you consider an additive, ask yourself a questions.

What do I know that the formulators don't?

I know some of those folks, they are smart. Really really smart.