free website stats program Oh NO! Need rim help, Please!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oh NO! Need rim help, Please!!!

Bowhiker is correct. Unless you purchased an aftermaket wheel, the stock on the softail custom is polished aluminum. Semichrome may still work to get the streaks off, but you should try something specifically targeted to aluminum, you want a polish with a high ammonia content to break the oxidation.

Guys, I love this site and all the help you give me. So here's the results. Semichrome didnt work on the rear rim, but my pipes are blinding now- good stuff.
HD chrome polish is junk.
Never Dull worked but wow my arm is sore.
Got a power ball, and some aluminum cleaner- NOT MOTHERS- the mothers cleaner said not for use on aluminum- It was called mothers mag and wheel polish, and had the aluminum warning on it.
So the rim is comming along, thanks so much guys.

Just remember Aluminum allow is porous at the microscopic level, so it can "capture" brake dust and other road contaminants which work like acid on it, causing corrosion (think electrolysis...two disimilar metals in a slurry of water and brake dust.

That is why mostl front forks H-D included have dark gray spots if not cleaned and waxed often have hard clear coat over them to keep air/water and oxidation at bay...but rocks and stuff can damage it allowing oxidation and corrosion in.

Back