free website stats program Oh NO! Need rim help, Please!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Oh NO! Need rim help, Please!!!

Rhys

:newsmile038:Guys, I have enjoyed a couple weeks of long rides. I noticed that my pig looked like it had been in the mud pit. So I went into cleaning mode and gave my pig a butter milk bath "not literally". I scrubed, and wiped, ect.,ect.. I got some chorme cleaner and it said to spray on and warsh of, and I did it correctly. I only used it on the rear rim, wich is a solid chrome. It left white streaks all over it, it did not pit it or such, just left ugly white streaks and I washed it several times trying to remove them. Can anyone help me!!!

Is it an aftermarket wheel or custom Harley wheel? If the chrome is not cracked or pitted you should be able to use chrome cleaner and some wax to shine it back up. What type cleaner did you use? I have found that Mothers products work well to clean the bike. Followed by a good coat of Pledge.

Problem is nowadays chrome and alloy metals may be used on multi-piece wheels. Also, not all chrome is created equal...some may have a layer of clear coat or very thin coating that with vigorous or abrasive cleaners can do more harm than good.

Determine what kind of cleaner/polish you used, some have a rubbing compound (read fine abrasive), while some may have harsh chemicals that can penetrate microscopically pitted chrome and eat the base metal or electrolytically applied intermediate plating material (copper or other "yellow" metal base preparation before the final chromium plating)...good luck!:33:

You could try using semichrome paste, available at HD and others places as well. Really works well to clean up chrome.

Gator I had forgotten all about that stuff, great tip!!

My rim is the stock solid chrome by HD. It did not leave the white streaks on the front wheel, just the rear. I used a eagal one chrome cleaner,"spray on-wash off". It didnt pit the wheel, you can run your fingers across the streaks and they are just as smooth as the reat of the rim, the are just very promanant and stand out bad almost like it has had paint spilled on it. I had a guy tell me that a product called NEVER DULL is made to clean metals that have tarnished and correded, have anyone used it.

I hate to tell you this but I'm 99% sure your rear rim is a polished aluminum and not crome , that's probablt why you got the streaks .

Buy a Mother's Power Cone and a good aluminum polish and buff the wheel. You can use the Power Cone in a cordless drill and it will buff that rim to a chrome shine in no time. You can do it by hand to but the Cone can be used on your car or whatever also.

Back