free website stats program oh my gosh!!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

oh my gosh!!!!!!

rexver

Went out yesterday to change primary fluid, shifting seemed bad and N was hard to find. Pulled plug and there was metal pices about 1/2 long stuck to plug. Opened up inspection cover and keyper ring off of chain tensioner shoe had come off and had gone through the gears and chain and was chewed into pices, shoe had slid all the way over and chain was only running on about 1/2 of the pad. Chain had some rub makres on outside of chain i dont know what it could of been rubbing ? Replaced key ring , got shoe back on and chain tension set. Was wondering if yall think any of the chunks went in and messed with clutch pack? seems fine but time will tell.. Iam going to ride about 50 or 100 miles and change agin just to see if anymore metal comes out.

Went out yesterday to change primary fluid, shifting seemed bad and N was hard to find. Pulled plug and there was metal pices about 1/2 long stuck to plug. Opened up inspection cover and keyper ring off of chain tensioner shoe had come off and had gone through the gears and chain and was chewed into pices, shoe had slid all the way over and chain was only running on about 1/2 of the pad. Chain had some rub makres on outside of chain i dont know what it could of been rubbing ? Replaced key ring , got shoe back on and chain tension set. Was wondering if yall think any of the chunks went in and messed with clutch pack? seems fine but time will tell.. Iam going to ride about 50 or 100 miles and change agin just to see if anymore metal comes out.

I would of been (be) MORE worried of the Metal (magnetic) that would have gone into and around the magnets on the stator....... Not so much the clutch pack..

signed....BUBBIE

What Bubbie said!

Next time you have a reason to, I would open up the Primary and pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain so you can take off the rotor. Then manually clean off all the metal "fuzz" off the rotor magnets. Inspect the stator very carefully to make sure there are no bits of metal wedged into the windings of any of the coils.

Before you do all that, run through the procedures below. It may show a reason to get into the Primary to begin with:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

ill pull the plug on it pretty soon and see if anything else has drifted down to it. i did keep all the metal frags and i can tell that they are not all there, some maybe on bottom of pan i sure hope so..

ill pull the plug on it pretty soon and see if anything else has drifted down to it. i did keep all the metal frags and i can tell that they are not all there, some maybe on bottom of pan i sure hope so..

Hope so too, but remember you have a rotor full of pretty strong magnets that will grab any steel bits sloshing by in the Primary Fluid. Almost best to invest in a new Primary gasket and open up the Primary cover just to clean it out, even if you do not disassemble anything.

TQ

i have spare primary gasket sitting at home, would i be able to reach those magnets just bye pulling cover only ?

To get at the charging system rotor you will need to take off the clutch and cfompensator the rotor is behind the compensator and usually compensator clutch and primary chain come off together

Brian

i have spare primary gasket sitting at home, would i be able to reach those magnets just bye pulling cover only ?

No. See post #4 above. (see Brian's, aka, fin_676 reply above).

TQ

Last edited:
All very good advice. If the small magnet on the drain plug attracted some of the metal parts think what the large spinning magnets aroung the stator attracted.

Back