free website stats program Oh jeez, primary oil change flub? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oh jeez, primary oil change flub?

Yes, read all the tips.. and manual. Levelled my '03 Deuce, Drained and added Formula + and checked via inspection cover. After 26 oz., no fluid visible with flashlight. Hmmm...Kept going, cuz the manual says fill till fluid is seen touching the clutch basket.
Finally visible at 1 qt., but not touching, keep filling but doesn't touch bottom of basket until a qt and a half!
Okay, what gives..according to manual this should be significantly over capacity...? Have I drenched the clutch?? Crapola...
Any help appreciated.

K.

Are you sure the bike's not sitting a tad over center? Should've been good @ 38oz so it sounds like you're too full (according to spec) which could cause engagement/disengagement issues, drag & hard shifting into N. Might want to re-check & suck out a few oz...I fill to bottom of clutch basket.

Touching the bottom of the clutch basket IS the Proper Full Level on all HD bikes.

I would use this as FULL .

:D:D:D

Now GO Ride...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks both for the experienced replies...

I'm a bit queasy, since this is my my first primary change - it's hard to ignore the visual evidence -- I'm just surprised that the amount of fluid added is not a little more than manual recommends (26 oz.) but a lot more; - closer to 48 oz!!

Ignorant question..Is it possible that fluid entering the clutch compartment would get trapped inside the clutch, and not enter the reservoir?

Thanks,

K.

I think what I'll do is go with my mechanic's recc. and adjust the fluid level to 1 qt., let it go at that...:bigsmiley23:

Thanks,

K.

I think what I'll do is go with my mechanic's recc. and adjust the fluid level to 1 qt., let it go at that...:bigsmiley23:

Thanks,

K.

What Year is your bike?

This Information always helps.

IF on the side stand, derby cover off and it is just far enough to see and NOT running out...... :D about an 1 1/2 down from the edge of case is another good VISUAL measure to use.

Harley calls out for a MEASURED amount to use (DRY & WET) THEN gives you a Mark on a stick (engine,tranny) BUT you are on your own here in the primary...

DRY = after apart and NO oil in that part of the bike, wiped clean out (more then is needed)
WET = is just the opposite,,,,(less needed than totally DRY) as some stayed in the compartment being changed

Too much will not Damage the bikes Primary but TOO LITTLE WILL:21:

The question is always "Where is the bottom of the clutch?" and "How do you see it?"

If you have time to go to a mechanic shop just to ask to see a bike torn down OR better yet,,,,,, Look at a Picture in Your Manual....
You DO have a manual don't you??

My advice (along with MOST others here) is Get one if you don't:s

Most of the problems or questions, simple or NOT so simple, are in the Book.

NOW, don't get me Wrong,,,,, I love to try to answer questions... If nobody asked QUESTIONS this would be a BORING PLACE indeed...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks both for the experienced replies...

I'm a bit queasy, since this is my my first primary change - it's hard to ignore the visual evidence -- I'm just surprised that the amount of fluid added is not a little more than manual recommends (26 oz.) but a lot more; - closer to 48 oz!!

Ignorant question..Is it possible that fluid entering the clutch compartment would get trapped inside the clutch, and not enter the reservoir?

Thanks,

K.

NO, the clutch hub will throw the oil round and it will lube the chain and draw some heat from the stator

The oil has to be touching the clutch so that it can pick the oil up and lube between the plates and as the chain will dip into the oil at the clutch end of the primary it will splash lubricate the rest of the components so it has to touch the bottom of the clutch basket

Brian

Hey Bubbie,

Thanks for the input.. yes.. '03 softail as in O.P. Manual good, one of first purchases with bike, and the photo is worth the proverbial 1000 words. I re-levelled the bike, went back in with the intent of reducing fluid to 1 qt. Fluid now riding about middle of the lower ring of basket, so I took out about 8 oz., which went below the basket, so I added a couple oz. to bring it up to touch. Took a spin, all good, shifting easy, neutral easy, etc.
What's puzzling about the whole deal is that the bloody MANUAL says 26 oz... which wouldn't bring level anywhere near the basket on my bike. All said and done, it appears my bike needs about 40oz. to accomplish this, and 26 would be seriously low.
Thanks to all who replied.

K.

Back