free website stats program Off topic oil question? | Harley Davidson Forums

Off topic oil question?

porkchop

This dont have anything to do with our bikes but here goes nothin.
I have a Yamaha ATV that i got new in 07 and now only have about 20 hrs on so far and i have had syn oil in it from the start. I only use this thing during hunting time only and have changed the oil every year just because.
Should i just use reg dino oil in this thing instead of syn as i dont ever run this thing in the summer time? I will probably be flamed for this but thats ok, I can take it.

Thats just it, I dont ride hard or even fast. All the riding is done as slow and quiet as possible. You know, deer hunting,and its only for 2 month's out of the year, the rest of the time it just sits in my garage.

It probably doesn't hold much oil and if the cost difference between dino and syn is going to make a difference then go with the dino. The syn will give better protection at start up and keep any buildup in suspension better.

Your right. You talked me into it. LOL. Its only a 2 qt system so its not the $. Just wandering if I was wasting good syn oil by draining it after a year of setting.

20 hours in 3 years it will rust away before you have engine wear at that rate no madderhat you run IMO

Yea I know.... This ATV should last me the rest of my life at this rate. The longest it has run at one time was about 30 min. The rest of the time its only for about 6 or 7 min at a time, just to get me from the camp to my stand and back. Pretty sad aint it?

Thats pretty much how i do it, just before each season Ill change it out and i have been using Amsoil but the last year I used M1. The oil still looks like i just poured it out of the bottle even though its a year old in the engine.

The ATV probably is running pretty cool and wil accumulate moisture and used in a dusty dirty environment, more probable of picking up contaminants, especially when you remove the filler cap, or change oil filter if it has been slogged around in the mud and what not. Use the synthetic...it is more "pure" (less ash and other unknown ingredients) and more resistant to degradation from the start than dino oil. Difference in price when accrued over a year not much difference to really matter.

Only thing I would do different from what you have been doing is that I would change the oil before I lay it up for the year ,not at the beginning of a new season.That way the moisture and fuel contaminants would be out of the crankcase while it is sitting,not eating at it from the inside out.

Back