free website stats program Off to Mobile ...AGAIN | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Off to Mobile ...AGAIN

Wonder if the machined interface where the trans mounts to the engine was done at an angle and the mainshaft is not square to the primary. When they went to the trans engine connection the fit became critical.

That would be my thoughts also. Talked to an engine builder I met in Brandon last weekend and he basically said the same thing. Some type of alignment problem.

Went back and reread what they have done already and since they changed the trans case if the problem is misalignment it would most likly be the engine interface not the trans case. Checked one of my catalogs of seals and for the most part .003 missalignment will cause seals to leak. I'm sure they have already checked the mainshaft for runout.

Went back and reread what they have done already and since they changed the trans case if the problem is misalignment it would most likly be the engine interface not the trans case. Checked one of my catalogs of seals and for the most part .003 missalignment will cause seals to leak. I'm sure they have already checked the mainshaft for runout.

Not sure they checked that but I'll ask them tomorrow. Once they get the primary off I'll ask them to put a straight edge across the motor and tranny and see if there is any alignment issues. Thanks Don.

Joe I wonder if the seal springs have grooved the shafts ?

I'll look at that tomorrow when it is disassembled. I used to work on large gearboxes and bearing assemblies. I have seen seals cut shafts many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure they checked that but I'll ask them tomorrow. Once they get the primary off I'll ask them to put a straight edge across the motor and tranny and see if there is any alignment issues. Thanks Don.

Not sure you will pick it up with a stright edge. It would be the stacked dimension from centerline engine crank to centerline trans mainshaft. That dimension would have to be within .0015 of the inner primary centerline at crankshaft opening to the centerline of the mainshaft bearing. They can check the mainshaft runout with a dial indicator.

Not sure you will pick it up with a stright edge. It would be the stacked dimension from centerline engine crank to centerline trans mainshaft. That dimension would have to be within .0015 of the inner primary centerline at crankshaft opening to the centerline of the mainshaft bearing. They can check the mainshaft runout with a dial indicator.

The straight edge would go from engine machined flats at the crank to machined flats on the tranny case to check for angular misalignment. I understand about the mainshaft runout. Thank Don!!

Joe, Been thinking about your oil problem, Go with me in a different direction for a moment... Has the dealer considered a restriction in the breather assembly... P/N 17650-02 If too much presure is building up in the crank case, even new seals will leak. I've seen rear main seals condemed and replaced in cars only to find out the PCV system was not working properly... Only a thought, Good Luck my friend. :D

Joe,

Sorry to hear you are still leaking, what a pain, going to check progress on my ride tomorrow, maybe see you there!

We've all been speculating here, hope they find and repair your problem.

Back