free website stats program Off idle flatspot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Off idle flatspot

Well, I messed with it two days in a row and it got better but the hesitation is still there.
I have baffles in the pipes, new spark plugs, I put a 45 slow jet in, replaced the needle and emulsion tube with a stock one, put one washer, then two washers, then three washers under the needle. I replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm. I played with the idle mixture screw from 1 turn to 4 turns and it is currently at 2 1/2 turns. Even a can of Seafoam went into the tank. I checked the slide again and made sure that it has not been drilled.

If the choke is 1/4 of the way out and the motor is warm, it runs but still hesitates at 1/4 throttle. Cruising at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it will intermittently surge whether the choke is out or all the way in. I twist the throttle past that and it accelerates just fine and smooth with more power than before. It seems the hesitation and flat spot is all in the middle circuit, just above idle.

Could it be electronic? There is a sensor on the intake manifold that I assume is for vacuum advance of some sort. Could that be bad or clogged?

Maybe an intake leak that doesn't show at idle with WD40 sprayed. (The motor should be rust proof for years to come now!) I'm considering pulling the intake and replacing the seals. Couldn't hurt right?

I am one carb removal from taking it to the dealer and crying uncle!

Thanks again for all the responses.

The surging you mention indicates the possibility of an intake leak or a lean mixture. By chance if you have a 46 jet, I would try that before going any further. Your problem seems to be in the transition point from the low jet to the main jet so adding a bit more fuel should show you something. Do you know if the needle is the stock piece for that bike?
Also have you visualized the accelerator pump delivery stream in the throat of the carb when operating the throttle to see if it is a nice steady stream?

It must be pretty lean if you need 1/4 enricher all the time just to get it running as it is
so a wee bit more investigation of everything in the fuel delivery system is required

Brian

Back