free website stats program OEM Exhaust - left and right different design? | Harley Davidson Forums

OEM Exhaust - left and right different design?

wv2wheel

new to HD. I find the sound level on my bike to just a tad on the loud side at times....louder than the demo bikes I had ridden. My bike is a used 09. The prior owner had his VH removed so the dealer tossed some stockers back on, but I am thinking they are either well used or modified in some way....Anyway the left pipe (as you look at the bike from the rear) is "plugged" some inches in ...the right pipe is open waaaay back in to the pipe. I know folks talk about how most of the exhaust exits the right pipe but are the pipes made different or has this one been modified?

Thanks,
Phil

On the later bikes with the 96 engines, the left pipe is mainly a sound chamber with little flow through the shell. What you have is pretty much a stock setup with the left muffler looking like it is plugged. It forces the exhaust to exit the right side for better scavenging.

OK, that answers it..thanks! So it could be they are a well used set with some miles on them (and the packing). I know they arent new based on the appearance...thanks!

Back