free website stats program Odd exhaust problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Odd exhaust problem

hogcowboy

Got a strange problem. The right SE slip on keeps getting loose and sliding back. I'll loosen the bolt and pound it back in place and tighten and a month or so later I notice it's slipped back again. I put a second nut on the bolt to 'jam' it but it still happens. I didn't think locktite would do any good since it's a hot area. What else can I do? This last time I even put a 18 cheater on the ratchet and tightened it another 1/4 turn. I'm afraid to go much farther for fear of breaking the bolt. And I don't really like the idea of spot welding it either. Got any other suggestion?

Have you tried a new Torca-clamp? Repeated tightening from removal/replacement seems to stretch them for whatever reason. HD recommends replacing them rather than re-using them so that may be why.

The bolt part of a Torca clamp has splines on the shaft. These splines jam in the inner block/spacer and cause uneven tightening after initial use. Drilling out the block, or grinding down the splines enable even tightening again. CAUTION, now the clamp has the ability to crush the pipe if it it tightened too much.

I assume you are positioning the TORCA clamp over the end of the slip-on pipe so that it can compress the two "halves" of the slip-on pipe onto the exhaust pipe, right? If the TORCA is slid too far on the slip-on pipe, it will NOT be compressing the pipe part of the slip-ons onto the exhaust pipe.

TQ

I assume you are positioning the TORCA clamp over the end of the slip-on pipe so that it can compress the two "halves" of the slip-on pipe onto the exhaust pipe, right? If the TORCA is slid too far on the slip-on pipe, it will NOT be compressing the pipe part of the slip-ons onto the exhaust pipe.

TQ
Heck I don't know. Guess I better check. I've just been tightening it. That very well could be the problem. Duh!

Also, I'd still replace the clamp...they do wear-out over time and sounds like you've been fighting with this one for awhile. $5 fix...hopefully. Good luck!

It doesn't get so hot there that Loctite 242 blue won't work. Feel free to use it, however, the advice to replace the fastener is spot on. Not that expensive compared to continually tightening things.

I do recall from back in the Trumpet bobber days, when my shorties kept slipping, even with the big steel clamp. I spread the tines on the muffler a little, wrapped tinfoil carefully around the pipe and taped it tight. That shimmed it and seemed to give it grip - also stopped the tiny leaks at the tines end.
If your pipe is crushed, this may help.

Back