free website stats program Octane | Harley Davidson Forums

Octane

Use the 93 the octane rating stated is the minimum rating.

93 whenever you can get it. Much less likely to contain ethanol so cleaner burning and better power and mileage.

I guess I'll be contrary to the others...basically the octane should be 91 as stated...and yet I run 89 with no problems whatsoever...tried 87 and there is definitely a point when riding two up and heavy throttle that you can hear a slight ping...! So for me 89 octane works for day to day...91 octane when going on long trips or two up.

Just my way...have done the same thing on my sportbikes since the 1980's...find the point of tune for your machine. For example my recent Suzuki Katana, I could run 89, but 87 it would ping. So 89 octane or higher went in once I determined brand and octane would run fine. When traveling, I always buy 91 or higher and only at well traveled stations because you can easily pick up poor gas and put a damper on your trip.

Wish I could find 93 up here. Best I found is 91. Bike runs better on 91 than 87 and better mileage, makes up for the higher price.

All I can get is 91 here, jump to the the states & get 93 the bike runs better. With 91, 2 up the bike pings, better mileage with 93. Considered adding octane boost to 91???:cheers

Run the highest octane rating you can find (within reason - no aviation fuel!!).

TQ

Back