free website stats program Octane booster warning? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Octane booster warning?

FYI

Marvel Mystery oil was developed just after WWI, 1917 by Burt Pierce, for Marvel carburators that experienced a build up of lead. It would, as a solvent, remove the lead deposits and keep them from building up again.

MMO contains no dispersant to hold dirt in suspension. It dilutes the dispersant that is already in the oil. MMO dilutes the viscosity index of a multi-viscosity oil, making it less resistant to temperature changes.

If you want to run MMO in the fuel of a vehicle that was designed to run with leaded fuel it would be a substitute for lead to lubricate the valve and seats.

Modern engines are designed not to require the additional lubrication by having harden seats and valves. It will not do any harm to add it to gas. I just don't see where it would be beneficial.

It is used in aviation engines that still run on 100LL with excellent results.

A better cleaner/lube would be Techron. It was designed for fuel injected engines.

MSD of Marvel Mystery Oil

COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 08052-41-3 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 00095-50-1 0 – 1

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons is a fancy word for 3w oil. Consisting of lubricating oil base stocks recovered from crude oil. 50% naphthenic hydrocarbons, 40% aromatic hydrocarbons, 10% paraffinic hydrocarbons.

Mineral Spirits is a solvent, thinner.

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbon whose some or most hydrogen atoms have been replaced by chlorine atoms. Chemically and thermally stable, chlorinated hydrocarbons are used mainly in the manufacture of synthetic solvents and insecticides ( main ingredient in DDT).

I'd clean my pistols with MMO. But I sure will not put it in my Harley. Definitely not in the oil due to it's solvent properties. If I still had my old 54 chevy, Yea.

Back