free website stats program Octane booster warning? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Octane booster warning?

My guess is no because the concentration of Techron in pump gas is probably very low. But that is just a guess. It probably is also expensive so they can't be putting much if any in a gallon of gas. I was using their concentrated Injector cleaner in the black bottles. It was like 12oz treats 20 gallons of fuel. Started using the product when the car had something like 15-20,000 miles on it.

It does say right on the bottle to only use it once per oil change and to use it just before you change your oil. But I was addicted to the stuff because the engine ran so so good when on it. I wrote to Chevron and they sent me 2" of paperwork about the stuff and how it works.
They even told me in a cover letter that some will get past the rings and into the oil so don't use it often.

I figure because I was using Mobil 1 oil and changing my oil every 2,000 miles (I loved this car) along with a good filter, I could get away with using Techron every other tank full. I was wrong. There was nothing left of my engine (Acura Legend) after 66,000 miles. Cylinder leakage was 25% pass the RINGS. Under air pressure you felt WIND coming out the oil filler cap.!

The REAL joke of the whole story was this. While trying to figure out why my engine was running so poor when it had 60K miles on it, I found a clogged injector.!! I was buying this stuff by the case. I still had a clogged injector. But it did not matter. Once I took a compression test and leakdown test the game was over.
I drove the car another 10-12K miles and dumped it.

Yes I abused the product. But the fact I still had a plugged injector should make you wonder how it could ever work in the concentrations they recommend.

So my question is what's the point in using it at all. It would be cheaper and better to just change the injectors when they clog.

I use super concentrated Techron made by Run Rite in autos at work, It makes the valves rattle like crazy in a liquid cooled engine, I would be very leary of using it for any length of time in my bike, better off with Duralt sold by H D:s

A lot of them are harmful to the O2 sensors that why your not supposed to use it the stuff the local HD sells says right on it not for use in bikes with O2 sensors

A lot of them are harmful to the O2 sensors that why your not supposed to use it the stuff the local HD sells says right on it not for use in bikes with O2 sensors

That is true. And once you coat the o2 sensor it is over. They can't be cleaned (at least I know of no way). You have to replace them.

I hate to say it but I do use Sea Foam every once in a while. That is a nice additive. I hope I don't do any damage in the long haul. You think I would have learned.:p

That is true. And once you coat the o2 sensor it is over. They can't be cleaned (at least I know of no way). You have to replace them.

I hate to say it but I do use Sea Foam every once in a while. That is a nice additive. I hope I don't do any damage in the long haul. You think I would have learned.:p

Sea Foam says its fine with O2 Sensors

A little sea foam now and then used in proper amounts will not harm anything.
I have used it for years. Add it a few time a season like 10-15,000 miles to prevent moisture build up.
It is not needed all that often.

Thanks Smitty. I never heard of it until I came onboard here at HD Talking. I bought a can and tried it. It is amazing. I really like it. Great to know it is safe for my engine..

The key to fuel additive like octane boost is to "fix" a difficiency in fueling "chemically" without changing anything. The real question is, if you have "pinging" isn't it better to find the "root cause" than putting a $19.95 bandaid on it?

As for Sea Foam, routine maintenance speced out, should not cause any detrimental effect, and can help minimize moisture, gum and debris from fouling your fuel system. I am inclined to use Sea Foam or Berrymans' Chemtool periodically in the fuel tank as a more seasonal prevention thing. No problems in the 2 years I've had my Sporty (plus using it in all my bikes and autos since 1972...:57: As for damage to O2 sensors or catalytic converters and such, I do not have any experience other than the fact that both manufacturers "say" there are no ill effects if "--used as directed". As you might have guessed, I put on my "rose colored glasses" here, like Hopple...LOL :14:

The key to fuel additive like octane boost is to "fix" a difficiency in fueling "chemically" without changing anything. The real question is, if you have "pinging" isn't it better to find the "root cause" than putting a $19.95 bandaid on it?

As for Sea Foam, routine maintenance speced out, should not cause any detrimental effect, and can help minimize moisture, gum and debris from fouling your fuel system. I am inclined to use Sea Foam or Berrymans' Chemtool periodically in the fuel tank as a more seasonal prevention thing. No problems in the 2 years I've had my Sporty (plus using it in all my bikes and autos since 1972...:57: As for damage to O2 sensors or catalytic converters and such, I do not have any experience other than the fact that both manufacturers "say" there are no ill effects if "--used as directed". As you might have guessed, I put on my "rose colored glasses" here, like Hopple...LOL :14:

but sometimes octane booster is the fix esp if you in a region with low octane gas ran into this last year 3 stations only had 87

but sometimes octane booster is the fix esp if you in a region with low octane gas ran into this last year 3 stations only had 87

Use Duralt for this it is sold by HD been aroung for a wjile and will not hurt your engine:s

I use 1/2 ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of fuel to help keep top end lubericated, valves, top ring. No problems as can tell. Also a little Lucas fuel treatment at times. not a lot and added to a full tank always.

Marvel Mystery Oil has Parafin Wax in it so I would'nt use it at all , if you want to use it just use a 1/2 ounce per tank about every5-10 tanks just to lubricate the fuel pump .

Back