free website stats program Octane boost do you need it | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Octane boost do you need it

LOL! At least I am learning to watch my tongue!:D

HEY WALLEYE......

TRY THIS B-4 THE others SCOFF at it::::::

my DYNA bike 210 lbs static compression 10.25/1 flowed...(set-up to run ok in wash. on 92)

HOT weather** 60 lbs of gear * and 2 up with only 87 octane at a pump (back roads oregon).....

I FIRST PUMP .10 GAL OF DIESEL INTO MY 4 gal low...5 GAL TANK ON DYNA ($.37)......... fill up (4gal) on LOW 87 octane gas

RESULTS *** NO PING AND BETTER RUNNING THAN ON 91

I tried to allow it to ping and NONE....(minor lugging -- increasing throttle more than normal...)

NOW if you have never tried this ..... SCOFF-SCOFF is easy but

IT WORKS ON MY BIKE

I don't make a habit of doing the diesel but it DOES WORK when needed...

WHAT SAY YOU MOTOR GURU

signed....BUBBIE

diesel in petrol is an old trick used by racers to up the compression and remove carbon build up, as diesel requires more compression to burn, it retards the flame front in petrol stopping the petrol igniting on hot spots on the heads or pre-ignition.
i would not reccommend doing loads of times or every fill up but occasionally it wont do any harm

JUST THINK $$$$$ LOST IF DIESEL WAS USED RATHER THAN 5$$ OCTANE BOOST....

EXACTLY MY POINT CONFIRMED

THANKS HOBBIT

signed....BUBBIE

Let's not try to add that deisel to any bikes with 02 sensors if you are so inclined. You'll be replacing the 02 sensors after that.:s

I have a 04 RK...run Samson Pipes...K&N air filter up grade.....96 kit...power commander II.....I been from the East coast to the West coast..pulling a Unigo trailer most the way....and after 53,000 plus miles ...special out west where 93 proof is no where to be found..I've ran everything from 87 to 93.....and not sure ever having a pinging are any kind of problem...I am in Missouri....93 very easy to find any where but...10 % ethanol....and Bike runs great...must be the Hillbilly(corn mesh) gas i spect!..I have added Sea foam if bike sets over 2 weeks...and added Mystery oil (are what ever its called)...lol ..now and then....done the de carbon thing with the water spray twice....so if I ran w/o ethanol i can't imagine how great it would run....lol

Ironmark: I'll be darned i looked it up on google this is from Chevron : Oxygenated gasoline is a mixture of conventional gasoline and one or more combustible liquids which contain oxygen. At present, ethanol is the most common oxygenate in the United States. The government requires gasoline to be oxygenated during the winter in areas that have a carbon monoxide pollution problem (cold weather and atmospheric inversions worsen carbon monoxide pollution). Oxygenated gasoline helps engines run leaner, which helps some engines – particularly older engines – produce less carbon monoxide.
My 06 FLSTC ran much better as soon as the Oregan fuel was out of the tank and CA fuel was replced so I don't get it. something was worse in Oregon. only in oregon my bike and the 96 Bad boy with a carb were running hot, popping, No power going up grades. we rode about 800 miles threw the state. NV, UT, WY, MT ID,CA all these states the bikes ran GREAT.

I go to my local autoparts store and pick a bottle of Lucas Octane booster, 1 of the few true boosters out there. a bottle costs about $10 bucks and lasts for 4 fill ups.
If you have ever used Lucas products, you know they make a great product.

one of the reasons i run this booster product is because my 2000 RK has been stroked to a 110 Cu In. Stage 3 kit , K&N air filter and cams upgraded. Need the xtra octane especially in these hot oklahoma temps in the summer. Bike seems to run alot better in winter month so don't have to use it as much.

Ironmark: I'll be darned i looked it up on google this is from Chevron : Oxygenated gasoline is a mixture of conventional gasoline and one or more combustible liquids which contain oxygen. At present, ethanol is the most common oxygenate in the United States. The government requires gasoline to be oxygenated during the winter . Oxygenated gasoline helps engines run leaner,.

The leaner the fuel mixture the more chance for ping (spark knock) All I know is My bike has spark knock when I am out there in the winter months , also I see the fuel pumps have a notice that the fuel is oxyenated between certian months in the winter season , I am not sure but it seems that oct -may is when they oxegenate the fuel .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is interesting. So no diesel in FI bikes. Do you recommend anything now and then such as someone mentioned mineral oil? I remember a Marvelous Mystery Oil, I believe is mineral oil. Should a guy be using something now and then or not? So far only premium gas has been in my tank. I will be interested to hear. :52:

My roadtrip was in July-aug. summer. Oregon gas is manatory 10% ethanol all the time, here in CA the oxygenated fuel (10% ethanol) is during the winter.

I've used kerosene mostly and packed it with me on my longer trips for the 2000 dyna-42 mukini.... diesel was just easier to use on this trip as I packed NO kerosene....

What does diesel or kerosene light mix , do to the oxyg sensors...

I havn't the need to use it on my 09FLHR but would like to hear from U on this.

FUTURE up-grade builds on it may require more slower ignition of the fuels out there today.....

THANKS

signed....BUBBIE

Back