free website stats program O6 Road King Tranny Fluid Change | Harley Davidson Forums

O6 Road King Tranny Fluid Change

Rockchalk

Have 9,500 mile on my 06 RK and was wanting to do a tranny fluid change. Already have engine oil and primary oil changed. Lost my books and don't seem to see anything on tranny change before 07. I know everyone has their own brand, but let me know what weight and kind works best for you and how much it will hold. Also should I warm up motor before changing? Thanks.

Amsoil severe gear oil. I just had the dealer do the 1000 mi check at 1800 mi. on the Limited. I was having trouble finding neutral and had the typical clunk in all gears. The mech at the dealer recommended the Amsoil. I use Redline in the Road King and like it but dealer does not stock it. Picked her up yesterday and she shifts like butter. Neutral is back. I'll see how the Amsoil works when it gets hot out here. Redline seems to thin out when it's hot and I'm working the King hard in the twisties. If the Amsoil works well this summer, I may switch to Amsoil on the Road King. I know it's hard to find but in the tranny I can schedule changes and it only takes a qt. anyway.
WAP.gif

Remember to hold her upright to get all the fluid out and check or change the o ring:)

Remember to hold her upright to get all the fluid out and check or change the o ring:)

Personally I think the o ring change out at every oil change is a little over rated, I have used the same o rings the last 3 oil changes and no problems or leaks.

But I guess if everybody did that the MOCO would have to charge more for new models in lue of lost revenues in o rings.

And yes always ride the bike for a few miles before fluid changes and keep your receipts in case of warranty issues.

Finally you should lean the bike to the right when draining the trans, you can find locations of drain holes in your owners manual.

Try the Redline V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof. Make sure you warm up the tranny before it tis changed.

It's always good to have the orings on hand when changing fluids. Inspect the oring, if it is cut or damaged...change it.

Thorns

Holds 24 oz i use amsoil sevear gear 75 90 in my 03 roadking shifts smoother and less noise than the 20 50 syn although that also works

It's always good to have the orings on hand when changing fluids. Inspect the oring, if it is cut or damaged...change it.

Thorns

Always a good idea and cheap insurance while others may disagree Im old school and like to do it right a gasket or in this case anO ring can make or break a good day and they wont break the bank:p

Back