free website stats program O2 Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

O2 Sensor

Ishmael

Hi Folks,
You know, usually I don't mind showing my ignorance or inexperience because everyone starts from the same place and ya gotta ask questions to learn. But in this case, I'm a bit embarassed and stumped. I've looked at the diagrams and studied my service manual for my 2000, carbed Fatboy but I can't find the oxygen sensor. I thought it plugged into the exhaust pipes but it ain't there. Neither does it appear on the diagram in the service manual. Now, the pipes have been changed to V & H longshots and I want to change to shortshots because the bike has been lowered and they drag at dips in the road. Help me out here and as usual I'll be most appreciative and a bit more knowledgeable. Thanks.
Ishmael
PS I also looked at the index of the service manual but it does not list a reference for the O2 sensor.

Simple answer. O2 sensors did not make the scene until after 2000 (somewhere around 2006 for the most part). Your ECM selects an A/F ratio by look up tables only. There is no exhaust feedback sent to the ECM for correction. Your an "Open Loop" system.

Your answer is in your question, Its not in the service manual, therfore your bike didn't have them as far as I know. Ride safe.

Thank you. Very cool. I wondered if that might be the case but the V&H ads say you need an O2 adapter kit for the pipes...unless I misread the ad:D.
Anyway, I thought I should check this out with people who know and as usual you came through.
Ishmael

the V&H ads say you need an O2 adapter kit for the pipes...

That probably just means the pipes are not factory equipped with the threaded bungs already installed should your engine management system use O2 sensors..

Your lucky. I would rather be pre-O2 sensors any day.:)

That's correct Hoop. The ads say the kit is needed for 86-06 Softails, but if it ain't there it ain't there. I'm very pleased with the Fatboy, lack of O2 sensor or not. Thanks again.
Ishmael
PS Hey, on the bright side, I can now wrench on and install the new pipes.

Ishmael; you might need O2 bung plugs for the new pipes - some manufacturers include them, some don't. Probably best to wait & see what comes w/your kit. My Bub-7 TD's had O2 sensor plugs w/all the install hardware. If yours doesn't have them - run to NAPA & get the correct size (15mm or 18mm).

I think you would not have any o2 sensors on a carbed bike as as far as i am aware it is efi systems that use sensors to monitor the gases so that it can adjust the amount of fuel being injected
carb just uses the amount of draw of air by the engine to adjust fuelling

Brian

Thank you one and all. These pipes do not have a bung, nor do the longshots currently on the bike. I'm anxious to get wrenching and change them out. I guess if you have a fuel injected bike you have to drill and tap. I did check and the V&H ad does say 86-06 softails need the O2 sensor kit so evidently some softies including the Fatboy was FI. I really don't know when it came into being for this line of HDs. It's a minor project but a chance to get my hands dirty on something within my capabilities. Rock on!
Ishmael

Back